Hop Schedule for a Garbage Pail (Pale) Ale

Reaction score
Looking for the hop schedule recommendations for some leftovers I have that are getting too old. I know this will be a one off type of kooky recipe but I don't care. Just something simple to use them up and experiment for fun.

So for my grain bill I have 10 pounds of 2 Row and 1.25 of Crystal 20 for 5 gallons.

Hops in order of freshest to least

1 oz Cluster
1/2 oz Magnum
1/2 oz El Dorado
1/2 oz Chinnok

This is a tough task for me given my options I'm thinking maybe bitter with Magnum and Chinook flavor with Cluster?

All help is appreciated!

1 oz Cluster flameout, cool to 150° then whirlpool for 30 min, then finish cooling.
1/2 oz Magnum 60 min
1/2 oz El Dorado 10 min
1/2 oz Chinook leave it out

Depending on the AA this should get you to a smooth 30 IBU's
Cheers
Brian

The Brew Mentor said:
1 oz Cluster flameout, cool to 150° then whirlpool for 30 min, then finish cooling.
1/2 oz Magnum 60 min
1/2 oz El Dorado 10 min

Cheers
Brian
Ditto except put the Chinook in with the Magnum for something extra in the bitter. If these hops are very old and have lost a little something then you won't end up with just another lite beer.

I'd first-wort hop with the Cluster - it gives a very fine fruity note (if you have good hops) very reminiscent of black currants and blueberries - I just used it as a single hop added FWH, 90 and 60 mins in a pale ale and it came out magnificent, no "catty" flavors at all. Magnum is a very clean bitterness added at 60 minutes. I've never used El Dorado but the description might (or might not) complement the berry flavors of the Cluster - tropical fruit, pear, stone fruit, I'd do that experiment. Agree on leaving the Chinook out - its spicy, piney flavors might clash with the milder fruity flavors of the other two hops.

Hmmm you have me at the idea of FWH'ing. The whole ounce of Cluster, or half and the Magnum at 60 El Dorado and rest of the Cluster at the end?

Head First said:
The Brew Mentor said:
1/2 oz Magnum 60 min
1/2 oz El Dorado 10 min

Cheers
Brian
Ditto except put the Chinook in with the Magnum for something extra in the bitter. If these hops are very old and have lost a little something then you won't end up with just another lite beer.

I still stand by including the Chinook. Without them this is just another pale ale, not an experiment. Why shouldn't piney spicy earthy bittering go with a good fruity finish?

I think the whole point is to use all of whats left of his supplies hence the name

Hey thanks for all the input and I took the advice of.....

1/2 Magnum
and
1/2 Chinook for 60

1/2 El Dorado for 15

1 of Cluster for 5 and 2 minutes

Just did the first pour off the keg last night and it was great. Might be on to something with El Dorado and Cluster. Lightly sweet candy like hop flavor in a good unique way and very light malt with that grain bill. Maybe could use a little more maltyness but no one would notice hey it's garbage pail ale haha. Thanks for the help wish you could try a pint.

I get that "candy" flavor from Cluster, even boiled 60 mins or used as a FWH. It's a currant/blueberry note and I'm coming to like it more and more...

Yes and the El Dorado gives it some cherry candy too the combo is delightful and they work very well together.

Back