Hop oil

Greg.lynes

Trial Member
Reaction score
Having bought several bottles of hop oil, there is not a ml option on the Hop Amount drop down but an extract option on the type.

Also not having EBC on the fermentables is a pain in the arse.

Having bought several bottles of hop oil, there is not a ml option on the Hop Amount drop down but an extract option on the type.

Agreed- we are working on updating our fermentables with EBC and with the maltster as well.

And then to the Brewer’s Friend Timer app! :D

Believe it or not, that is one of the hardest things to get right. I'm not a developer, but I'm in the discussions with them on important features and that one is a bugger for them apparently.

One of the very next ones is incorporating the water calculator into the recipe builder so the additions and pH projection all show up in the recipe properly.

The ml hop extract has been added- but the IBU calculation is where it's tricky. Can you give me a brand you bought, so I can look up their specs? Some are 10 IBUs per ml, for example, but only in 1.060 wort. So we have to work with it a little bit to get the IBU calculations right.

Believe it or not, that is one of the hardest things to get right. I'm not a developer, but I'm in the discussions with them on important features and that one is a bugger for them apparently.

One of the very next ones is incorporating the water calculator into the recipe builder so the additions and pH projection all show up in the recipe properly.

+1 On water calc. Will it be on the printable recipe? Hope so. Would be a huge improvement. Have to open another window now on brew day and scroll through for salts and acids.

THAT one I like!

+1 On water calc. Will it be on the printable recipe? Hope so. Would be a huge improvement. Have to open another window now on brew day and scroll through for salts and acids.

Yes- we are going to have it be "one page", and my wish (well demand, actually......:)) is for the salts and acids to populate into the recipe under "other". I'll keep you posted, but we are working on this right now!

Yes- we are going to have it be "one page", and my wish (well demand, actually......:)) is for the salts and acids to populate into the recipe under "other". I'll keep you posted, but we are working on this right now!

Sweet! So when you have the water calculator set up for a recipe, it will roll into the recipe?

Sweet! So when you have the water calculator set up for a recipe, it will roll into the recipe?

That's the plan. We have to try it out of course, and I'm not sure of the timeline but it's #1 on our list right now.

The ml hop extract has been added- but the IBU calculation is where it's tricky. Can you give me a brand you bought, so I can look up their specs? Some are 10 IBUs per ml, for example, but only in 1.060 wort. So we have to work with it a little bit to get the IBU calculations right.

Has there been any luck with the IBU calculations for hop extract? I noticed that it has a set amount of IBU regardless of the AA% or boil time.

Has there been any luck with the IBU calculations for hop extract? I noticed that it has a set amount of IBU regardless of the AA% or boil time.

It does- but it doesn't. :)

What I mean is when I went over the manufacturer's data, they gave far different IBUs depending on the boil gravity. That's been the rub- trying to make it work for all different gravities.

What I mean is when I went over the manufacturer's data, they gave far different IBUs depending on the boil gravity. That's been the rub- trying to make it work for all different gravities.
Gotcha no big deal, I've just been adjusting standard hop additions to make it fit with what the manufacture said. It may be difficult without a lot of brewing, especially with different products and different manufacturers. Just saw that AIH has their hopeffect product line out (https://www.homebrewing.org/search.asp?keyword=hop+effect)

Is there a formula? Or if not, if we have enough data points I can curve fit a formula for utilization based on different gravities.

I am very happy to hear this!

Back