Honey and custom sugar ingredients incorrectly adding to FG

Snigeldraken

Premium Member
Reaction score
Example. The honey appears to be treated like a malt, with attenuation decided by the yeast. I've tried making a custom ingredient categorized as a sugar in hopes that it'd work (which it didn't). Cane sugar works fine, though. Is there a good workaround/fix, or will I have to replace it with cane sugar in the calculator (scaled by .75-ish) to get proper ABV and FG info?

Okay so bear with me here, but there's a few things going on with attenuation that needs to be resolved.

Honey *should* IMO be treated like a fixed attenuation ingredient, like cane sugar. However it may not be right now, I'll have to check the code to see if it's looking at the ingredient by name or by ingredient category/type. But anyway it's less attenuative than simple sugars like cane/corn which are 100% fermentable by most yeast (real attenuation) or ~121% apparent attenuation, some initial research shows honey is approximately 95% fermentable (116% apparent).

If that's true, then a mead with 3 lbs of honey per gallon would give approximately the following stats. Let me know if this seems realistic to you, as I'm not a very experienced mazer.

OG 1.095
FG 0.985
ABV 14.53

Again this assumes that your ABV tolerance is not reached, which is definitely a more significant factor for mead making.

@Yooper @Niklas Edgren

Okay so bear with me here, but there's a few things going on with attenuation that needs to be resolved.

Honey *should* IMO be treated like a fixed attenuation ingredient, like cane sugar. However it may not be right now, I'll have to check the code to see if it's looking at the ingredient by name or by ingredient category/type. But anyway it's less attenuative than simple sugars like cane/corn which are 100% fermentable by most yeast (real attenuation) or ~121% apparent attenuation, some initial research shows honey is approximately 95% fermentable (116% apparent).

If that's true, then a mead with 3 lbs of honey per gallon would give approximately the following stats. Let me know if this seems realistic to you, as I'm not a very experienced mazer.

OG 1.095
FG 0.985
ABV 14.53

Again this assumes that your ABV tolerance is not reached, which is definitely a more significant factor for mead making.

@Yooper @Niklas Edgren

No, as the FG will never be below .990 with any honey or simple sugars. It just doesn't happen. You'd need to add straight ethanol to get an SG below .990.

That's why this is more complicated than it first appears.

Back