Honey and custom sugar ingredients incorrectly adding to FG

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by Niklas Edgren, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Niklas Edgren

Niklas Edgren New Member

Example. The honey appears to be treated like a malt, with attenuation decided by the yeast. I've tried making a custom ingredient categorized as a sugar in hopes that it'd work (which it didn't). Cane sugar works fine, though. Is there a good workaround/fix, or will I have to replace it with cane sugar in the calculator (scaled by .75-ish) to get proper ABV and FG info?

2. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    This is something we've been working on. I'm not sure where we on on that- @Pricelessbrewing will know. We definitely want this to be a priority.

3. Niklas Edgren

Niklas Edgren New Member

Wonderful, thanks!

4. Pricelessbrewing

Pricelessbrewing QA Software Tester
    Staff Member

Okay so bear with me here, but there's a few things going on with attenuation that needs to be resolved.

Honey *should* IMO be treated like a fixed attenuation ingredient, like cane sugar. However it may not be right now, I'll have to check the code to see if it's looking at the ingredient by name or by ingredient category/type. But anyway it's less attenuative than simple sugars like cane/corn which are 100% fermentable by most yeast (real attenuation) or ~121% apparent attenuation, some initial research shows honey is approximately 95% fermentable (116% apparent).

If that's true, then a mead with 3 lbs of honey per gallon would give approximately the following stats. Let me know if this seems realistic to you, as I'm not a very experienced mazer.

OG 1.095
    FG 0.985
    ABV 14.53

Again this assumes that your ABV tolerance is not reached, which is definitely a more significant factor for mead making.

@Yooper @Niklas Edgren

5. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    No, as the FG will never be below .990 with any honey or simple sugars. It just doesn't happen. You'd need to add straight ethanol to get an SG below .990.

That's why this is more complicated than it first appears.

Pricelessbrewing likes this.