Home Brew for a Wedding Gift

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was honored to be asked to brew a batch of beer for my niece's wedding this weekend. I brewed a Schwartz beer in honor of the groom, and the bride requested a hard apple cider. As a backup I brewed a Dark American Wheat. There were around 150 people there to attend the ceremony so the brew was only a part of the refreshments made available for the guests. This turned out quite rewarding for me in the sense that many people got a chance to taste and comment on my beer (and first batch of cider, a kit). The comments on the lager ranged from puckered up faces that said "where's the Keystone Light" to "I love the roasty crispness can I please have another". As it turned out the groom only got one glass of the lager because the picture taking took forever and the homebrew went fast. We slipped one in to him in between photo shots. The Cider also had different comments from "umm yummy" to a little swallow and "Oh no thank you."
There have been several comments from brewers about being asked to brew for a wedding, and about what they were brewing, but not a lot of comments as to how things went.
As I said I was honored, and really enjoyed the different opinions offered, even from the people who preferred the "yellow fuzzy beer". All in all the experience was fun and I think that if asked by another family member or close friend I would do it again.
Anyone else want to share experiences of how beer for a wedding gift came out?

yes I recently brewed for a wedding, my niece also, I took my keezer with 4 taps 350 miles with 4 full kegs in it to a yuppy wedding, very well designed party with high class settings.

constantly for days got a thumbs up and smiles from every one and even a mention on facebook, I was shocked at how my beer was received.

I did have a request that no one get plastered so I toned down the alcohol and bitterness had 4 different beers ranging from mild pale ale to hoppy wheat, IPa and IIPA, after 2 hours the hoppy wheat was gone then went the pale ale and IPA, only thing left after 4 hours was 2 gallons of my IIPA which I didn't mind its my favorite beer

this goes to show you that the home brew movement is very strong and well received by the younger generation :D

that's awesome! ozarks, that's quite a trek with beer in tow, hopefully the fuzz didn't give you any problems.
my fiance and I are doing 2 beers to give out as favors. unfortunately, our venue can't serve outside drinks.
while i won't recommend they drink it warm, what the guests do once they get the beer is out of my hands...
i'm also really curious / excited / somewhat worried to see what people outside of my group of friends think about it.

I though about this a lot, the key was to have kegs full to the top where no foam could appear and I put ice inside the freezer during the trip, it worked perfectly

I also had to completely get rid of any sediment before the trip so it wouldn't cloud the beer so I made 7.5 gallons of each to eventually get 5 gallons of clear beer

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
I though about this a lot, the key was to have to kegs full to the top where no foam could appear and I put ice inside the freezer during the trip, it worked perfectly

I also had to completely get rid of any sediment before the trip so it wouldn't cloud the beer so I made 7.5 gallons of each to eventually get 5 gallons of clear beer

haha, i meant the cops for transporting beer across state / county lines, but the foam is probably the bigger issue. you definitely illustrated the 7 P's with all that planning

ha ha, its legal to travel around the state here I live next to the headquarters of Anheuser Bush and its not uncommon for pickups to have freezers i the back, they sell frozen meat and use dry ice to keep the meat frozen, its all good

Head First said:
I was honored to be asked to brew a batch of beer for my niece's wedding this weekend. I brewed a Schwartz beer in honor of the groom, and the bride requested a hard apple cider. As a backup I brewed a Dark American Wheat. There were around 150 people there to attend the ceremony so the brew was only a part of the refreshments made available for the guests. This turned out quite rewarding for me in the sense that many people got a chance to taste and comment on my beer (and first batch of cider, a kit). The comments on the lager ranged from puckered up faces that said "where's the Keystone Light" to "I love the roasty crispness can I please have another". As it turned out the groom only got one glass of the lager because the picture taking took forever and the homebrew went fast. We slipped one in to him in between photo shots. The Cider also had different comments from "umm yummy" to a little swallow and "Oh no thank you."
There have been several comments from brewers about being asked to brew for a wedding, and about what they were brewing, but not a lot of comments as to how things went.
As I said I was honored, and really enjoyed the different opinions offered, even from the people who preferred the "yellow fuzzy beer". All in all the experience was fun and I think that if asked by another family member or close friend I would do it again.
Anyone else want to share experiences of how beer for a wedding gift came out?

Sorry to steal this high of yours, Congrats on your wedding beer and good luck on more to come

No prob OMB... Just sharing experiences. I crossed state lines, does that make me a bootlegger?:shock:(I hope so that sounds like even more fun) :twisted:

Back