Holidays approaching! What are you brewing/drinking?

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
It’s almost US Thanksgiving, that means Christmas holidays are coming quickly.

What are you brewing and/or drinking? Mine seems crazy, but it’s nearly 80 degrees here in sunny Florida and the idea of drinking a winter warmer is not appealing, so I’m going to tap an ordinary bitter that I brewed for a British friend. It came out drier than I had planned (FG 1.006 or so I believe), but it’s definitely quaffable for sitting on the screenporch!

We don’t have Sierra Nevada’s Celebration available here, but that would be my #1 choice.

English pale in keg/casks now so good to go in a couple of weeks. A risky cider in the fermenter now that I'm fascinated by and a stout brewing on Sunday which should be just about ready

For Thanksgiving I'm doing a Belgiany ambery thingy fermented with Ardennes yeast with orange and cranberries added. For Christmas, it's a big Imperial Stout with chocolate, orange and ginger.

I have a Christmas Ale with cinnamon, ginger, and honey conditioning, and planning to brew a coffee porter soon as well. I was planning a Cranberry Chocolate Stout, but I think that I need to do more research on brewing with cranberries before tackling that one. Also have a NEIPA fermenting right now to have some variety for the palette.

Cranberries give the beer a LOT of tartness and some odd bitterness - the end result comes out tasting more like a sour than I would have imagined, but without anything directly identifiable as "funk."

I have a Christmas Ale with cinnamon, ginger, and honey conditioning, and planning to brew a coffee porter soon as well. I was planning a Cranberry Chocolate Stout, but I think that I need to do more research on brewing with cranberries before tackling that one. Also have a NEIPA fermenting right now to have some variety for the palette.

Care to share the NEIPA recipe? I keep looking at those and being put off by the amount of hops; pretty cost prohibitive for me so far.

Youngest daughter coming in from St. Louis for a couple of weeks, arriving Dec.19th. She requested my Cherrywood Smoked Stout, so will be brewing that next weekend. Just kegged a Watermelon/Rhubarb Cider at 6.4% ABV, so that will be on tap for the holidays too. Outside of that, just the normal APAs and IPAs. Really need to brew a Barleywine for next year. Haven't done one in ages.

it's heating up in Melbourne finally, so it's time for the dry hop kettle sour and hazy rye ale. Two 3.4% ABV quaffers with plenty of flavour.

Youngest daughter coming in from St. Louis for a couple of weeks, arriving Dec.19th. She requested my Cherrywood Smoked Stout, so will be brewing that next weekend. Just kegged a Watermelon/Rhubarb Cider at 6.4% ABV, so that will be on tap for the holidays too. Outside of that, just the normal APAs and IPAs. Really need to brew a Barleywine for next year. Haven't done one in ages.
I'm hoping to score a PBR 99 pack. Just saying...

Take one down, pass it around, 98 cans of beer on the wall----:cool::cool::cool:

I am about to bottle a breakfast stout made with coffee from a local coffee roaster. I am going to add the cold brewed coffee in the bottling bucket so hopefully I can get just the right coffee character in the beer. This is a new recipe for me and I am looking forward to it.

Update on my Christmas beer: Took a sample of the base beer today - fermentation is done. It's still full of gunk but very nicely flavored. Tomorrow I'll rack it and add the flavorings - cocoa, vanilla bean, ginger and orange puree. And off-topic but an update on the ESB we were discussing a while back: The recipe I mentioned is very nice, about the only thing I'd kick on is it's a touch too bitter at 50 IBUs. 45 should do just fine. Otherwise, great flavors, very nice ester profile, somewhere between raspberry and sweet cherry. By the time the bitterness tames a bit more, I'm going to like it a lot.

Should be brewing that wheat bier for Christmas itll be all the more fresher since it's about a month away wheatbeer as I understand it is best drunk fresh straight out the gates after a short conditioning (sounds like all my beers). itll be that and probably a light low ABV lager something crushable.

Brewed a simple Amber yesterday and have a SN Narwhal clone on tap aging(yes of coarse a qc sample once in a while. And a Belgian Dubbel that is almost ready. Picked up some Celebration for Turkey Day along with some Narwhal to compare my clone (research). Nephew is stocking up on a variety of this year's BC Stouts. We can't buy 14%beer in MT so he gets them In WA for us. We will also pick up a few BC Bramble rye stouts for Christmas locally. Haven't found any Jubelale yet but looking. I really like this time of year! Holiday ales aplenty!

My Christmas Ale is conditioning, had a QC sample the other night, very pleased with it. Brewing a chocolate cranberry stout today.

Back