Holiday Brown Ale spice/dose suggestions

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking to brew a nice holiday brown ale by adding spices. I've seen several different additions online and am considering the traditional spices (Clove, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, All Spice, Ginger, orange zest, etc.).

I have looked at several recipes for a brown ale holiday brew, but would really rather have the input from the members here. After being a member since only January of this year, I have come to really respect the opinions and suggestions by my fellow posters.

Any suggestions on which or all or different would you all suggest and the amounts. Assuming that the spices will be added to the boil, how long in the boil should these spices be left in?

Looking to brew this next weekend as a test batch before the holidays begin, or if it tastes good enough, just bottle it and let it age.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

good recipe, just add spices like Cinnamon, All Spice, Ginger,

Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.57%
IBU (tinseth): 38.2
SRM (morey): 20.59

FERMENTABLES:
9.82 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (84.7%)
0.82 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.1%)
0.55 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (4.7%)
0.27 lb - American - Chocolate (2.3%)
0.14 lb - American - Black Malt (1.2%)

HOPS:
1.09 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 18.53
1.09 oz - Liberty, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.39
1.09 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.28

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.5 gal, Recirculation Mashing
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 5.5 gal, Sparging

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968

Thanks Ozarks! Questions;
  • Can only batch sparge at the moment. I have a pump, but not yet in my brewday equipment setup. Should I raise the grainbill (by what percentage) to offset the efficiency differential? (Assuming batch is less efficient).
  • I was also looking for what spices for suggestion and what dose/time in the boil. Any suggestions to that?

oh you can bib if you want and no sparge just change it as you want, as for the spices Ive added like a dry hop at the end of the fermentation, also strait to the keg or bottling bucket, the issue is you don't want to stir at all once beer is at that stage so a tea bag soaking as a dry hop is best at any point, all spice is really strong so a teaspoon at the most would be plenty, the spices are totally up to you, your taste will be different than mine, I would test some in a beer first to get the flavor in your head

By no means do I use spices all that often, but I've always used them during the last 10 or so minutes. Anything more, and it's just for the neighbors
I'd agree with Ozarks on testing first.
Even after I've done a bit of research on a spice, I tend to go about half or 75% of the amount that i've seen, just in case it's too strong

Back