Historical Brews

Rafn Homebrewery

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello, novice brewer here, with about 7 or 8 batches done. Me being me, I am a lover of history, and began to wonder if there were any recipes out there that have historical significance to them I can take a stab at. I only have one down at the moment, which is Thomas Jefferson's ale, but would like to expand.

If interested in British beers take a look

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing also has some historical styles and recipes. a few colonial beers if I remember right
Not sure if you can find them online or not, but the rest of the book is a great read too

Ron Pattinson has a really good book on historical British styles. The medal at the left is for a Kentucky Common I designed....

If interested in British beers take a look
Sorry about the link.I have had problems before with it,ie stating computer infected.
I actually advised Ron Pattinson about it but it belongs to a mate of his.I will advise yet again
thanks

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Ill look into these sources. Now if I wanted to design a beer with old fashioned ingredients, what would you recommend?

Go out, find yourself some raw barley and malt it badly by today's standards. Look for some wild hops, AA content and final contribution unknown, maybe even including some seed, and make a guess as to how bitter your beer will be or what the hops will smell like. Or get a can of stale malt extract, add several pounds of sugar and ferment it with bread yeast. Be sure and use contaminated yeast so the beer goes sour after a few weeks....

All snark aside, I'd recommend you make an old-fashioned beer with modern ingredients. No complex decoctions or guesswork involved. And remember, those sainted brewers of yesteryear would have jumped at making their brews with the ingredients we have today....

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
BJCP Style Guidelines category #27 Historical Beers. Everything you need to know.
There may be some specific recipes or beers that you could research, but this is the place to start.

Have to agree. Style guidelines are a great way to find different brews of all beers. You don't have to stick to them strictly for your own taste unless competing but good ideas can start there.

Back