Higher ABV with All Grain

Sparkle

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a recipe all grain at 5.5% and I want to raise it to 8%. Can I increase the malt levels and the hops so as to gain the same style tasting beer with a higher abv. Any calculations to do this ? I know I will have a slightly different beer in taste maybe with a higher abv. Any ideas how to achieve without adding any sugars or dextrose to achieve this. I want to stay with the malt to increase sugar levels and also up the hops a little to try and maintain the ssimilar tast with higher abv.

You could reduce your batch size and keep the ingredient amounts the same.

Or you could increase malts to make up the abv difference and keep batch size the same. Maybe 40% more or so based on your efficiency.

Make a note of what your BU/GU is for the original recipe. Once the malt is set for the new abv, adjust hop amounts so the new BU/GU is the same

You could reduce your batch size and keep the ingredient amounts the same.

Or you could increase malts to make up the abv difference and keep batch size the same. Maybe 40% more or so based on your efficiency.

Make a note of what your BU/GU is for the original recipe. Once the malt is set for the new abv, adjust hop amounts so the new BU/GU is the same
Hi

Cheers for this I will do and see what happens, trial and error seems to be the way. Then we see what the beer is like?

Thanks appreciated Enjoy your beers !

You're very welcome, hope it works out for you. And of it doesn't, you just get to brew it again :)

Hi

I have a recipe all grain at 5.5% and I want to raise it to 8%. Can I increase the malt levels and the hops so as to gain the same style tasting beer with a higher abv. Any calculations to do this ? I know I will have a slightly different beer in taste maybe with a higher abv. Any ideas how to achieve without adding any sugars or dextrose to achieve this. I want to stay with the malt to increase sugar levels and also up the hops a little to try and maintain the ssimilar tast with higher abv.
One other hint: Reduce the character malts a bit. What tastes good at 5.5% can be cloying at 8%. Belgian beers use sugar at higher ABVs to keep the beer drinkable.

One other hint: Reduce the character malts a bit. What tastes good at 5.5% can be cloying at 8%. Belgian beers use sugar at higher ABVs to keep the beer drinkable.
Cheers Noisybear, I will try this also. Just need to up the ABV and try to keep a good beer

Definately keep an eye on the bitterness to gravity ratio (BU/GU). If you only look at the IBU you will end up with a different beer altogether

Plug the recipe into the calculator as is, reduce the batch/boil size to get to the desired ABV, adjusting hop additions if necessary and then use the scaling feature in the Recipe Tools tab to get back to the batch size you'd prefer. All quantities will be adjusted automatically. I've done just this when I wanted to increase gravity for splitting/diluting to increase yield.

Back