High malt glucose.

Guitars and beer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have some high malt glucose but it is not listed in the ingredient list. What is the closest match so The calculations will be correct?

I don't think it's spam. Just a guess: Use light LME, about 42 ppg.

I doubt this is spam either, but Jennifer Vasquez figured out a way to stay on the front page.

Interesting.... I didn't see that part. The question is valid, though.

This is not spam. I was not sure how to join the forum. The guy at my local brew shop did not have any LME so he sold me some DME and this high malt glucose. When I started to build a recipe I found it was not in the list on brewers friend so I don’t know how to proceed so the calculations will be correct.

Any chance you’d be willing to scrap the high malt glucose? DME is more or less LME with much less (or no) water in it. You would need a different amount, sure, but the program can account for that. There are plenty of times when I adjust my malt amounts up or down in order to reach a target gravity. Otherwise, I’d be tempted to count the high malt glucose like DME, and make a note of the results.

Please explain why this a ridiculous question? I am rather new at making beer and you must be a master at it. Sooo, if so answer my question or tell me why this is a ridiculous question. Is this the way you talk to all new people.

I think he meant ridiculous survey. You have the same answer listed twice.

ha ha, I guess you submitted the survey in mistake, I fixed it, sorry we've had a few sneaky spammers, I overreacted

I must have.
Okay I'll answer your question: The guy sold you some high priced sugar syrup. If you have enough DME - I don't see a recipe so I can't tell, the glucose syrup will work just like any other simple sugar, it will thin the body and contribute alcohol without affecting flavor. I'm troubled that it's glucose: Sometimes the yeast will start to pig out on glucose, then be too tired to ferment the maltose in the DME. Here's what I'd do: Calculate the glucose syrup as if it were light candi syrup or LME, your choice, both are about 42 points/pound/gallon. That should get you close enough to homebrew. There's no pure sugar syrup in the calculator because in general, we don't use it. It's just a very expensive way to buy sugar. Clear candi syrup is similar - never buy it, it's just sucrose - table sugar - syrup. I'd let the yeast ferment two or three days before adding the glucose - mix the syrup with equal parts water, boil it for ten minutes to sanitize it, cover and cool, then add it to the fermenting beer. And I wouldn't use the syrup for more than 20%-25% of the total extract (sugar). It has no nutrients and could cause the yeast to stall or throw off flavors.

And visit a different homebrew shop next time. Malt extract and sugar syrup are not interchangeable and that the guy would sell a rookie this stuff is rather despicable. You can't rely on that shopkeeper for sound advice.

He was sold the high malt glucose as a substitute because the store owner doesn’t have LME, as stated in the OP. I’d just remove it, and add more DME until the desired gravity is achieved. It would be helpful for us to see your recipe.

That ^^^ is the way to go.
If you use the Glucose, and it won't hurt anything if you do, just sub Corn syrup or Extra light LME in the calculator. The main thing is that that type of ingredient is considered 100 percent fermentable and is not affected by the efficiency percentage in calculating OG.
And, yes, when you can't get LME, just use DME for the recipe. It's less convenient for late additions because you have to be careful to stir it more to make sure it all dissolves and doesn't stick to the bottom. You have to use .88 lb of DME in place of 1 lb of LME to get the same gravity.

Thanks. I will try that. I do my late additions in a separate pot and add them after flame out. I think I get more out of the hops that way. Not sure if that is right or not but it seems to work for me.

I agree with using DME instead of the syrup as well. It just strikes me as a bit unscrupulous to sell sugar syrup at a premium to someone who doesn't know better. Caveat emptor, I know, but I like to think if I were the vendor, I'd have told him to scrap the syrup and just use table sugar. And G&B: I'd add the glucose late for the reasons mentioned above. This is a late addition I'd add a couple of days into the fermentation.

And I'm spoiled by a local homebrew shop that has employees that have told me a time or two, now just why do you intend to use THAT....

I think I get more out of the hops that way. Not sure if that is right or not but it seems to work for me.
The Recipe Calculator uses Late Addition to calculate hop uptake, assuming 10 minutes for the addition. If you're not adding all the fermentables to the late boil, that last 10 minutes of hop interaction will be different than what the Calculator predicts. Probably not a big deal but something to think about.
For relatively high-gravity wort like a partial-mash with 60 minute hop addition it wouldn't matter as much as a steeped-grain-boil where you're boiling all hops for a very short time - if they're not in contact with the concentrated sugars, there can be a substantial difference in IBUs. Flavor and aroma are less affected by wort gravity, I believe.

Back