Hi from Norway!

Tonyx3m

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi! - My name is Tõnis (actually), but everybody calls me Tony (wonder why?! :D )- right now in Norway
I have been peeking on this site for little over half a year now, so just to be polite, I decided to come out and say hi.
Been trying to brew for last two years - mostly kit beers and couple of sessions of full grain, in cooperation with friends.
So, in one word - a rookie

Welcome!
Curious as to what the "legal" situation in regards to homebrewing there, seeing as you guys have crazy taxes on anything you buy and pay tax on...!? :shock:

Welcome Tõnis, I'm actually from there so my genes (was tested) tell me whats my home country like

Welcome!
Curious as to what the "legal" situation in regards to homebrewing there, seeing as you guys have crazy taxes on anything you buy and pay tax on...!? :shock:
Actually it is surprisingly all legal (as long as You dont plan to sell any) - There is many stores witch sell home brewing starter kits as well as different style beer making kits too ( http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Geordie_Beer_Kits.html ) and even bigger surprise is, that they have similar wine making kits and even home-made liquor flavoring kits on sale too! I'm not sure, but what I did understood- it is legal to make strong alcohol for your own use... or if it's not - nobody makes a big deal out of it (as I've seen couple of stills in peoples garages with doors wide open, in broad daylight) as of taxes go - for a commercial producer price of 0.5 liter can of beer runs about 0.3 USD - as of in stores prices start from 2.5 - 4 USD a can (higher for tasty stuff)
So, if you make beer from a kit ( and lets say thats your first time and you buy everithing from the store (including ridiculously priced plastic buckets) you still get same euro trash beer as in green can in stores for about 1/3 of a price - and on your second run you get 20 liters for a price of a six-pack, store brought.... No wander all the foreign people brewing more their own, then local - it just makes sense money wise

Last edited:
sorry, been sick for a while and running between doctors and hospitals, didnt have time or mood to look at this page (yes , I was not allowed to drink beer) - hope you all understand

as of taxes go - for a commercial producer price of 0.5 liter can of beer runs about 0.3 USD - as of in stores prices start from 2.5 - 4 USD a can (higher for tasty stuff)
So, if you make beer from a kit ( and lets say thats your first time and you buy everithing from the store (including ridiculously priced plastic buckets) you still get same euro trash beer as in green can in stores for about 1/3 of a price - and on your second run you get 20 liters for a price of a six-pack, store brought.... No wander all the foreign people brewing more their own, then local - it just makes sense money wise
Interesting info. Definitely makes monetary sense to brew your own then!
NZ (where I lived for 4 yrs.) wasn't nearly as expensive for commercial stuff, but brewing your own was still cheaper.
Germany is a bit of an anomaly, that it is generally cheaper or about the same cost to buy, even fairly good, commercially produced beer than brew your own.

Back