Hi from devon UK

brewmer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
ive been lurking here for along time and have just brewed my first all grain belgian after alot of kit brews i finaly made the transition to AG, the calculators seemed to work out great for my first mash and hit my target temps spot on, the tun lost 1 degree in 70 mins, everything went to plan, first time using my new 70 ltr stainless kettle and 45 ltr cooler tun my hlt is a 27 ltr digital brewferm boiler that i originally bought to try biab but thought it was too small so i bought more kit and made an imersion chiller from 20 meters of copper 10 mm pipe, it cools 40 ltrs in 16 minutes..
all im waiting for now is a kegerator/keezer to hold my 4 cornys and maybe ill try a pils when i have temp control not sure weather to buy fridge or freezer (advice welcome on this)
i have just asked sw water for a detailed water report..i'd like to try a guinnesss style dry stout but i may need some advive on how to change my water.. ill add some pics of my brewery soon when i have a brew stand and a march pump

fist belgian in primary atm will update on how that goes just kegged my last kit brew...
cheers all
brewmer

Welcome to the fold!

That is an awesome shopping spree of brewing equipment! Glad your brew day went so well. :)

As for a freezer vs a fridge, it depends. A fridge is fine if you just want to keep the beer cool at the same temperature. A freezer requires a temperature controller, mine is a dual stage which means it can heat and cool. That allows me to ferment ales and lagers at whatever temperature I want, year round. That does require putting a light bulb in a paint can as a heat source. I have a blog post coming on this.

Lifting in and out of a freezer chest can also be hard on the lower back.

Freezers tend to put off a lot of internal moisture, so I use a chemical dryer similar to damp rid. Otherwise, it will get moldy eventually.

Thanks Larry.
I was thinking along the lines of an upright freezer and a temp controler as it would fit in my shed better, maybe i could get cornies in the bottom and a largering fermenter at the top..

if cost is an issue, Chest freezer is the choice, getting cheaper and cheaper these days and power consumption is better too, not sure about the UK but here $200 will get you what you want

We've chatted a bit on other threads.... Welcome aboard!

Back