Hello from Munich!

Liubarskyi

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I moved from Kiev to Munich 7 months ago and fell in love with Bavarian weissbier! So I started brewing all-grain 3 weeks ago and already brewed 5 small batches: weissbier, dunkelweizen, blonde ale, porter and munich helles. I found this site very useful for creating recipes. Hope I will find new friends here!

Welcome to Germany and the site!
If I may ask, what is you setup like? I assume being in Munich you are in an apartment!?

sbaclimber, thanks!
Yes you are right, I brew in apartment though I have garage and backyard. I was inspired by one gallon batch brewing so I bought 7 liter pot and 5 liter glass carboys. I do step mash in a pot that is heated by regular kitchen stove and put it in pre-heated oven in order to keep the temperature stable. Then I filter everything through sieve to carboy and do batch sparge, then again filter to carboy. Boil, pitch and put my carboy to the room (21C for ale) or pantry (15C for lager). I also put carboys in a bowl full of water to keep the beer temp stable.

What is your setup? Do you brew in apartment too?

Yeah, I am also in an apartment and started out with a very similar setup to yours, only with slightly more volume and a heated canning pot for mashing.
After to moving to an apartment with a larger balcony with an electrical outlet, I have moved my setup semi-outside and replaced the stove with a second canning pot for boiling. The nice thing with the 3-tiers is I don't have to lug around or siphon hot water / wort any more (except to dump one pot of hot water in up top for a batch sparge).
pic here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17-NWa_h-XLBol_cSqcaeF_uS85LWHBmp/view?usp=sharing
view

Wow that looks very handy! I am thinking about buying heated canning pot like yours but I am unsure if they keep temperature good? Does it have reliable thermo sensor and it works fine? I dont want to jump around every 5 minutes to check if temp is good :) Where are you keeping fermentation vessel? how do you control temp? I am about to buy Inkbird ITC 308S and aquarium heater for this purpose. I see it is the only option for now...

I should say right up front, that I am a KISS brewer and only do single infusion, single batch sparge brews.
That having been said, the canning pots work very well for me. I heat my strike water in the top pot ("mash tun"), dump in the malt, cover it up and wait an hour. It holds the heat well and the temp only drops about 2° over the hour.
As far as temp accuracy is concerned, I can't really say much, as I only turn them "on" or "off". I have played with the dials a bit and they seem to be accurate enough to turn on or off around about a certain temp but being analog, I wouldn't trust them. If you want to do stepped mashes, I would recommend adding something to stir the mash and some sort of external digital thermostat to control temp. A friend of mine has motorized paddle and a BrewBot, which seems to work pretty well for him.
Boiling in the second pot is pretty good too. It heats the wort (~328L) up to a boil in about a half an hour. I have added some insulation around it in an attempt to get a more vigorous boil, but that has been of marginal help.
I have a small refrigerator with what you are planning on doing for fermentation control. I added an analog thermostat with probe for better cooling control and wired it with 2-Way 3-Pole On/On Mini Toggle Switch and aquarium heater so I can switch to "heating mode", when needed.

Back