Hello Brewers! I am a virgin and need help!

BrewGuy77

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just recently retired, and I have been waiting until this time to start brewing my own beer. I am a New England IPA addict. Hard to get in Bel Air, MD, but I make a trip to Aslin and The Veil, both in Virginia to get my fix. Now I plan to embark on brewing my own. I am looking at all grain brewing and I have read a lot about brewing beer with my favorite book being John Palmer's, "How to Brew". First thing I need is some advice on brewing equipment. I am looking at the Blichmann Breweasy systems and the Spike Brewing Systems. Spike is quite expensive, but appears to be one of the better systems out there that I have found. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They are both high quality brands, but IMO Blichmann is more pricey. But then again, that depends on if the equipment you are looking at is even offered by the other. I have a Spike Brewing 10 Gallon boil kettle (shown in my avatar) that is built like a tank and will last me a lifetime. The only thing I own from Blichmann is a Brewmometer that I installed in my HLT (Hot Liquor Tank) and a 3 piece valve (also on my HLT). The quality on both of them is very good. Best of luck on your next obsession, er uh hobby :D And welcome to the Brewers Friend Forums, great bunch of brewers in here.

Thank you. I was looking at getting the HLT, mash tun, boil kettle and fermenter from Spike Brewing. The fact that it is a HERMS brewing system was the main factor to go with Spike Brewing. Also, made in America with high quality materials. Looking to see if anyone has a different idea or thought. Thanks.

First welcome to the site and brewing.

it really depends on a lot of factors, completely built, build it yourself, electric, gas, is cost a factor or does anything go, herms or hybrid ?, do you have the space, electric needs so fourth, do you need a control panel?

Welcome
Can't help you with your question, but I'm right down the road from you in Rosedale

Glad to meet you. Have you been to Independent in Bel Air? Very good selection of beers.

it really depends on a lot of factors, completely built, build it yourself, electric, gas, is cost a factor or does anything go, herms or hybrid ?, do you have the space, electric needs so fourth, do you need a control panel?

I have the space and the electric. It is really not a need for the control panel, but more of a desire and want. Quality and consistency of brewing recipes is the priority as well as ease of use including cleaning.

I have the space and the electric. It is really not a need for the control panel, but more of a desire and want. Quality and consistency of brewing recipes is the priority as well as ease of use including cleaning.

I would suggest then starting out with brew in a bag and the right size pot to possibly upgrade if needed in the future if you get bitten by the bug, any electric set up requires a 30 amp dedicated circuit preferably with a GFCI breaker,

you can brew in a bag with electric without a pump or control panel to start then if you need to go finer add more later, but also propane is easier to start. If only brewing 5 gallons at a time a 10 gallon kettle will work, the standard is twice the size of pot to the batch of beer you’re making, if you ever wanted to brew bigger go with at least 15 gallon kettle

there are 10 or 15 different good kettles but if you want the best than than that narrows it down Anvil is a good brand also

I second the BIAB recommendation. It’s the least amount of equipment required for all grain. Quickest cleanup!

Having just started all grain brewing about a year ago, I have to agree with OMB and jeffpn on BIAB. Get the basics under your belt, all the tools (hydrometer and/or refractometer, syphons, water treatment, fermenters, chest freezer, 5 gal kegs, bottling, etc.). After about a year you will have a good foundation for the big system. BTW that 20 gal Spike system looks awesome.

Welcome and enjoy the journey :)

Checking my calendar I see that it has been a long time since we sacrificed a virgin. We may be overdue.

i third the Biab option if your a bit wet behind the ears in the brewing world. less expensive less gear less cleanup.

I’ve wondered if that will be my approach as I get older and older. Currently liking my 3 vessel approach as I have become very comfortable brewing with it (full disclosure, my wife helps with not only the brewing, but the cleanup as well). But I can definitely see going to BIAB as my ambition is eclipsed by an aging body years down the road.

Back