hello brew people!!!

goatee

Trial Member
Reaction score
i have 5 gallons of a wit ale in secondary right now. ready for bottling on sunday. i also have a bunch of equipment on its way to me too. keg. lines, reg, co2 tank.
i have been watching videos on proper carbonating and the different techniques they use. just waiting... or rolling it on the floor to speed it up.. my question is...............can i use priming sugar in a keg? just let it sit at room temp for a week or two? then stick it into the fridge after?
the reason why i ask is 1- even if the equip comes in on time the co2 needs to be filled. so far local places i have spoke to do not fill on site. they sell, then when empty to drop off and pick up full tank, (like propane)
2- this ale was a kit and this is how it came. i know that probably doesnt hold any weight as im sure beer is beer and there are multiple ways to do it. and priming sugar is more for bottling??? i assume...

anyway,,, i appreciate any advice you may have.
looking forward to snooping around the forums here and getting to know you all.
my name is mike but everyone calls me goatee. i just turned 50 and i live in harrison township mi.
so if you live nearby or like to go boating on lake st. clair hit me up.

Welcome.
You can indeed carbonate with priming sugar just as you would when bottling. One problem you may run into is getting the keg lid to seal without applying pressure. Get some food grade lubricant and apply it to the O ring seal. This will help it seal in the absence of CO2 pressure.
413h94dskgL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

You won't be able to draw very many pints without CO2 to maintain serving pressure. This means the carbonation level will drop off fairly quickly after a few pints. Most welding gas suppliers are still open and will do tank swaps. Probably your best bet.

Welcome.
You can indeed carbonate with priming sugar just as you would when bottling. One problem you may run into is getting the keg lid to seal without applying pressure. Get some food grade lubricant and apply it to the O ring seal. This will help it seal in the absence of CO2 pressure.
413h94dskgL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

You won't be able to draw very many pints without CO2 to maintain serving pressure. This means the carbonation level will drop off fairly quickly after a few pints. Most welding gas suppliers are still open and will do tank swaps. Probably your best bet.

excellent!!! i do have every intention of using the tank when its ready to drink. i just want it out of my carboy sooner since it is my only one and i need it for some pineapple mango passion fruit mead im making.
thanks for the advice!

Welcome bud.

Back