Heady Topper Clone/Vermont Ale Yeast

Angry Chemist

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm 20 days into fermentation with this Off the Topper 5 gallon extract kit from Northern Brewer. Everything has gone pretty smooth and for the first time I'm trying my hand at temperature control using an upright freezer. I pitched on 4/9/17 right at 70F. OG = 1.070. I held it at 70F overnight and woke up to find very vigorous activity. I cooled it to about 67F and held it for the next 10 days. On the 10th day I went with the first dry hop addition and took a gravity reading of 1.0165. Tasted it and it was amazing. The fruit character was perfect and the balance of bitterness from the hops was spot on. I was hoping for more than 76% AA and figured it wasn't finished. I raised the temperature to 73F over about 3 days. New gravity was 1.0160 so it's certainly almost finished. At this tasting there was much less bitterness and the fruit aroma wasn't nearly as intense. I presume that higher temps will drive off some of those fruity esters. I lowered the temp back down to 67-68, transfered to secondary, and kept it at 67 for the next 7 days. Today, day 20, I took a gravity of 1.015. So AA improved slightly but nothing to write home about. The color is amazing but that tropical fruit/peach aroma is much more subdued and it seems to have a Belgian character to it. I still have the second dry hop to go next week and then bottling.

My questions are:
What do you think of my temperature profile? Too much up and down? Too warm?

Do I still need a d-rest at elevated temp? Or do you think it will clean up during bottle conditioning, if it's even there?

I was initially planning to cold crash but I may not based on the beautiful haziness I saw today.

Im relatively new to brewing, started a couple years ago. I've brewed 6 batches prior to this so I've still got a lot to learn. Any advice will be much obliged.

Cheers!

well all I can say is cold then worm 60 air then 70 to finish the last 3 days, it may be ok but thats my norm

There are many who are more knowledgeable than I am, but I think a diacetyl rest is a lager thing. I've never done one for an ale.

As far as temperature schedule, my ales ferment at whatever temperature my basement is.

Id start the fermentation temp at whatever is recommended for the yeast your using. Then when near fully attenuated raise the temperature up a few degrees to encourage yeast to fully clean up any left over sugars and after themselves. I would cold crash as well just to drop out any particals or sediment and then Finn with geletin for a day or two for clarity then rack to your serving vessel.

Depending on which strain you actually used and the results you're after it seems pretty high for a starting temp .
I usually start a bit lower and gently ramp my temp up once the bulk of fermentation is over then dry hop and allow to stay warm for a few days before a gentle ramp down to cold crash then add finings before keg / bottling .
Not a beer i can get here in Australia ( fresh examples anyway ) so hope it turns out as expected

Esters don't fade very quickly but hop oils can so that's where the aromas went

I set the temp for Vermont at 68. Then brought it in the house when it was done to clean up after itself for a few days.

Back