Have you been holding off on brewing a 10 gal batch?

Foster82

Trial Member
Reaction score
So this weekend I brewed my first 10 gallon batch, and I will say if you have been holding off on stepping up to 10 gallons, I say go for it if you setup can handle it. From what I learned is that, Mash temperatures hold much better, being off by a quart of water has far less impact, and overall for a little more time invested you get twice the beer. The downside is moving 13+ gallons of water/wort can be problematic and I now see the need for a stand and pumps.

For this batch I also did a starter from a slant. The yeast came from a slant I stored back in March 2013, and was stepped up to a 2 liter starter, which was decanted and another 2 liters of wort was added in order to reach the final pitch rate. Pitched at 63 degrees, and check this morning (14 hours later) beer is now at 57 degrees (target is 54 degrees) and the air locks are going to town.

Long story short I now have 10 gallons of lager fermenting away nicely :D .

Attachments

• 2014-01-20_08-49-18_234.jpg
    2014-01-20_08-49-18_234.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 551
thats all I do any more is 10 starts out as 12 in the pot but have a 13 gallon fermenter, works great except carrying it anywhere breaks my back lol and your right water is harder to change the more thats in there, holds the mash temp quite well, although I have a 25 gallon pot thats insulated and use my element under it with a pid so not so critical as some.

first couple of times i was off on my water, had to boil away more than normal, you will also find out that evaporation is different, the bigger the pot the more it evaporates

Ten gallon is a great way to go. My mash tun is only 10 gallons so I'm limited to OG of 1.06ish but I can still drop down to 5 gallon and do bigger beers. With a keggle for a boil pot 10's or 5's lose about the same boil off.
Time wise it is really about the same either way. I can't imagine packing that wort around though. I even use a cart to roll fermenters to chamber. I'm just about finished with my setup so will have to get some pic's out soon.

Been brewing for almost 10 years and never seen the need to move up to 10gals. For one I would get bored of 10 gals, second I'm the only drinker in the house, I just don't move that much product.

Back