Has anyone Used raw,pot, barley in place of chit barley?

Reaction score
I am going to do an Irish stout and the recipe calls for chit barley. I do not have access to chit barley but I can get pot barley . So if I do a cereal mash with the pot barley first to gel the starch then add this to my main mash to convert to sugar can anyone forsee any problems I may encounter. I use rice hulls in
my mash.

I have no idea what either of those are.

CHIT barley is steam rolled whole kernel barley that hasn´t been malted, pot barley is raw barley that has had the husk removed. It is usually used in soup..

Huh, learn something new every day. I honestly just use 2-row barley unless it's a dark grain so not sure what they're after.

Chit malt (barley) is undermodified barley malt - it's supposed to provide proteins and help foam. It's also very high in diastatic enzymes so it can be used to augment other malts. Pot barley is lightly pearled barley over here. It's just raw barley with some of the bran left attached. If you're going to use it, you'll likely need to do a cereal malt - in other words, cook the barley. The cooked barley will provide some glucans, again, extra body but it won't replace chit malt - different products for different purposes. That said, two-row will work just fine.

Back