Gushing wheat beer

bigbro69

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have made some wheat beers that didn't gush, but also one that did it. Normally I prime with about 4-6 g / l wort, but in the beer priming calculator it says german wheat beer = 3.3 - 4.5 volumes. Lets say I want to get 3.8 volumes, I will need about 12 g of table sugar to prime 1 l wort. That seems like a ridiculously high amount of priming sugar.

So how do you prevent beer bombs with that amount of priming sugar?
And do the rest of you guys normally use that amount too?

Thx

At 70 degrees F 3.8 volumes would require ~11.9 gr/l of dextrose (corn sugar). With sucrose (table sugar) it would take ~10.8 gr/l. Using bottles rated for highly carbonated beverages, ensuring that fermentation is complete prior to bottling and refrigerating for a few days before opening should do the trick. I personally don't trust standard beer bottles for anything with a higher carbonation level than about 3 volumes.

I'll second BOB357 on that. I never go above 3 vols when carbonating in bottles. If I needed that high of carbonation, I would probably do the belgium bottles or keg it. Might also try the swing tops, but make sure that they are rated for the pressure.

Just my personal opinion. Happy brewing.

Thx BOB357 and AGbrewer. Nice to now that we are somewhat in agreement about priming wheat beers.

I must say, that I have never had beer bombs, so I will stick to smaller amounts of priming sugar and refrigeration for some weeks.

Thx BOB357 and AGbrewer. Nice to now that we are somewhat in agreement about priming wheat beers.

I must say, that I have never had beer bombs, so I will stick to smaller amounts of priming sugar and refrigeration for some weeks.

I had bombs one time when I made a Belgian Tripel and didn't let the fermentation complete...it was a mess in the beer closet that day. Had to pull all the bottles that were not busted into an ice chest to contain any further explosions. Still got to drink a few of them, though they were quite a bit over carbonated.

Good luck man. Let us know how it turned out.

Back