Gruit needs help!

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I transferred the Gruit (cranberry and mulling spices) from Primary to Secondary yesterday morning and had to sneak a little sample to see how she's tasting. I like the overall flavor, but the cranberries just haven't provided enough bitterness in my opinion. Since the cranberries and mulled spices go good with citrus, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are in adding Citra Hops to the secondary for additional flavor and hopefully a little bitterness as well. I realize I am breaking tradition of what a Gruit is, but I feel it needs some help. Any suggestions on whether the Citra hops will help with the bitterness and the overall flavor and when and how much do you recommend. I was thinking about adding an ounce today and an ounce next weekend and then let it sit for one more week prior to cold crashing.

Just wanted to also share that we lost our brewing mascot last weekend. Our little Abby (10 year old dog) lost her battle with cancer last Sunday evening.

Yeah sorry to hear Mase I lost my dog last October it sucks. As for your Gruit I'm not sure it will add much bitterness but plenty aroma. Carbonation will add some carbonic Acid for bitterness. I hear orange pith is bitter as well. It's a tough one.

Added 1 ounce of Citra Hops on Sunday. Will take a taste sample next weekend to see how the dry hop tastes before adding a second ounce.

Back