Grainfather sparge boiler for BIAB?

PeterJ93

Premium Member
Reaction score
So Ive found this boiler.

And I was wondering if anyone has a grainfather sparge boiler and if it can do a rolling boil?

I've seen people discuss buffalo boilers and modding them, but I've not seen anyone use a grainfather sparge boiler.

Any help or community knowledge would be super appreciated.

And I was wondering if anyone has a grainfather sparge boiler and if it can do a rolling boil?

I've seen people discuss buffalo boilers and modding them, but I've not seen anyone use a grainfather sparge boiler.

Honestly, I cannot image this would be a "bad" investment. It would be a nice easy way to get into all-grain and BIAB - - - AND if you keep at it and enjoy brewing as much as the rest of us do - you've just bought a piece of equipment that would come in handy if you move onto the "Grainfather" or even a "Brewzilla/Robobrew"! You'd have a nice Sparge water heater.

I can't imagine they would sell it in that configuration if it couldn't manage a rolling boil.

I own a Robobrew myself and love it! I just ordered the 65L/17G version as an upgrade.... When I got into BIAB I did it out on a burner outside and honestly wish I had just gone electric.

My vote = GO FOR IT!

I imagine it would boil eventually. Ir says 83 minutes and I believe it. I had 3k watts and it took about an hour to boil 5 gallons (~19L) i added another element so I have 4500 watts and its about 40 minutes now

Alternatively, you could get yourself a Brewzilla 35L or 65L and use the malt pipe to do a BIAB - many folks do this.

Honestly, I cannot image this would be a "bad" investment. It would be a nice easy way to get into all-grain and BIAB - - - AND if you keep at it and enjoy brewing as much as the rest of us do - you've just bought a piece of equipment that would come in handy if you move onto the "Grainfather" or even a "Brewzilla/Robobrew"! You'd have a nice Sparge water heater.

I can't imagine they would sell it in that configuration if it couldn't manage a rolling boil.

I own a Robobrew myself and love it! I just ordered the 65L/17G version as an upgrade.... When I got into BIAB I did it out on a burner outside and honestly wish I had just gone electric.

My vote = GO FOR IT!

Thanks!

I will get it and yes, it may take a while to boil, but I'll just have a couple of beers while I wait!

Edit:
I just read up on the brewzilla. It's slightly out of my budget as I need to also buy a keg etc. I used to only do bottles and man, that is time consuming!

I imagine it would boil eventually. Ir says 83 minutes and I believe it. I had 3k watts and it took about an hour to boil 5 gallons (~19L) i added another element so I have 4500 watts and its about 40 minutes now

Thank you, once I have a bit more £££ I'll upgrade, just need something to get me started

Thank you, once I have a bit more £££ I'll upgrade, just need something to get me started
Heck yeah! Good move on the kegging! You'll love it! And in another year or so, ypou can probably upgrade to the brewzilla or grainfather (or something else electric) and just use the sparge "boiler" as a sparge heater :)

Good luck! Be sure to post your first brew with it!

Edit:
I just read up on the brewzilla. It's slightly out of my budget as I need to also buy a keg etc. I used to only do bottles and man, that is time consuming!
I have the Brewzilla 35, and frankly, the automation feature is useless to me. The indicated temperature is so far off from the mash temperature that it's a crapshoot setting a temperature goal. I do like the integrated pump, but the price premium doesn't justify it. Bottom line: I'd recommend the robobrew over the brewzilla

I have the Brewzilla 35, and frankly, the automation feature is useless to me. The indicated temperature is so far off from the mash temperature that it's a crapshoot setting a temperature goal. I do like the integrated pump, but the price premium doesn't justify it. Bottom line: I'd recommend the robobrew over the brewzilla
Do you mean grainfather over Brewzilla? Robobrew/Brewzilla are one and the same....

Robobrew has no pump (well, an external pump) and manual controls. Brewzilla has an internal pump and can be programmed. Digiboil uses the same carcass but no pump, used as a hot liquor tank. From 30 feet they all look the same.

I thought that Brewzilla was just the rebranded Robobrew

Pretty much an Urn I know a few brewers who happily BIAB in them it'll do you fine for many many batches of beer;).

Pretty much an Urn I know a few brewers who happily BIAB in them it'll do you fine for many many batches of beer;).

Hi @PeterJ93 , I modified a 30Lt tea urn to make it my brew kettle. I added an extra switch to force a boil situation plus a variable control to get what ever temperature I want. It is not difficult to bod any boiler - as long as the parts are available.
upload_2021-5-9_21-47-36.png

upload_2021-5-9_21-47-58.png

IF you need a hand... give me a call.

Hi @PeterJ93 , I modified a 30Lt tea urn to make it my brew kettle. I added an extra switch to force a boil situation plus a variable control to get what ever temperature I want. It is not difficult to bod any boiler - as long as the parts are available.
View attachment 15691

View attachment 15692
IF you need a hand... give me a call.
What do you use as a controller for this Allan?
Ah never mind I see you've got the thermostat with pre set temperatures

Last edited:
Cool can you control the boil with this as well?

It is variable from off to about 98C. Not shown on these pictures is a second double pole switch that overrides the variable control and puts full mains onto the heaters. I get a full boil this way. The variable control allows me to heat the strike and sparge water to what ever I want. I usually heat strike to about 70C (just over position 3) and the grain temp brings wort down to 65C.

I respectfully disagree. Have you tried offsetting your controller to match the "actual" grain bed temp? There is a way to adjust the reading for better accuracy. Honestly, I have found that if you constantly recirculate the grain bed temp comes up much closer to the "actual" temp. Because of this, I often only set my temp 2 degrees higher than what the recipe calls for. It has worked great for the near 3 years I have had the system.

I did recently buy another temperature probe to keep in the grain bed during the mash to try and be more accurate - however, I have not had any issues just setting my temp 2 degrees higher as I said before. My beer has been more consistent and clearer than with any other system I have used before.

Yeah my friends Robobrew had a pump in it, I wonder if they used a different model in the US before rebranding?

Back