Grainfather counterflow chiller issues

illingwd

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hoping there are some Grainfather users who might be able to help with this one.

I've recently moved house and try what I might I cannot get the GF counterflow chiller to work properly when attached to the mixer tap. I've threaded the adaptor on to the tap and it flows fine, but as soon as I connect up the hoses the back pressure makes water spray all over the place. I can only get a trickle of water through the chiller without making a mess.

Anyone else encountered this problem? I had to do a no chill last brew day it was that bad...

I don't have the GF so I'm actually pretty clueless on the set-up, but going by what you're describing it sounds like there is a vacuum breaker and it's doing it's job. Applying back-pressure to a domestic water supply is a big no no. Could you have a plug in the line? Maybe an inline check valve installed backwards, malfunctioning, broken?

I've never used one but are you sure it's hooked up right? Maybe a check valve or something is causing you problems?

If the water is spraying from just above where your adapter is, the aerator likely has slots or holes to bring air in via the venturi affect. Once back pressure is present the venturi affect goes away and water takes the path of least resistance, which is through those holes or slots. Another possibility is you don't have a good seal between the faucet and adapter or the adapter and the hose/line.

Last edited:
Hoping there are some Grainfather users who might be able to help with this one.

I've recently moved house and try what I might I cannot get the GF counterflow chiller to work properly when attached to the mixer tap. I've threaded the adaptor on to the tap and it flows fine, but as soon as I connect up the hoses the back pressure makes water spray all over the place. I can only get a trickle of water through the chiller without making a mess.

Anyone else encountered this problem? I had to do a no chill last brew day it was that bad...
I have a Grainfather and have never had that problem. You only need a fairly gentle flow..........are you turning the tap on full? Apart from the above suggestions that's all I can think of. If you can't solve it contact Support at Grainfather they are very helpful.

I have a Grainfather and I have brewed around 56 batches in the last 18 months. I have not experienced any issues with the CFC. I use well water to chill the wort and the water is pumped up from a depth of 80 feet. I simply connect the CFC to my tap and turn it all the way up ( slowly - I start with 30-40% of the tap flow capacity and incremently increase the flow in the course of the 1st minute ). I never had any issues.

I use http://www.clampco.com/products/worm gear.asp to secure the hose on the tap. Maybe you are not doing this? Or your water pressure is too high? Is your CFC clogged? Did you run some sort of PBW with warm water for a 30-60 minutes and 30 minutes continous rinse with just warm water?

Back