Grain that does not suit each other

Tomas Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I m a fairly new brewer, been all graining for the last few months and wondering if there are any grain or ingredients that does not suit each other, cause I was not able to find any info by googling it.
Asking.. as most of the recipes I build myself. Cheers

Nothing's jumping out at me right now. There may be some hop flavors that don't work well for a certain style, like fruity hops in a roasty stout or piney hops in an English pale ale. But that all depends on how closely you like sticking to the rules.
I suggest thinking about it in terms of ratios or percentages. For instance, 5% roasted barley for a stout might be good in a certain recipe, but 10% is way overdoing it. There's a saying that it's the dose that makes the poison. I think it fits here too.
Also, far be it from me to tell you what to brew next, but I found simple SMaSH beers to really help with learning what a particular hop, malt or yeast brings to the table. For instance, I did one trial that compared Vienna, Munich, and 2row. I've read the descriptions of those malts before but it didn't really click until I tasted it

if your starting out you cant go wrong with 2-row, crystal 60 and your hops, simple but good
for some fun add honey malt but only 10% max...most of the time its not about whats in it but how much of what grain thats important

Back