Grain Questions

Brewer #58898

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm a partial mash brewer and usually use about 1-2 lbs of grain per 5 gal batch. I don't have a grain mill so I have been having the grains crushed by the company I purchase my ingredients from. Mail time averages 3-4 days; and often I don't use the grains for a week or so after I get them so total elapsed time might be two weeks. Is it a problem to have the grain crushed so long before being used? Do they get stale? Should I refrigerate them until used? Would the beer be better if I invested in a grain mill so I can crush right before I brew?

Also, I often end up with left-over grain because the recipe might call for half pound and I have to buy in full pound increments. I have been putting the left-over crushed grain in zip locks and storing in the fridge for future use. How long does the grain last like this?

Thanks in advance?
Hugh

I wouldn't refrigerate, keep them cool and dry sealed air tight and the will last you 6 months at least

Don't refrigerate them. Getting them crushed a couple weeks ahead of time is fine as long as they stay dry. They will eventually go stale, but it usually takes a while. Moisture will make them go bad sooner.

and now for my 2 cents.

without knowing what other equipment you do / don't have, I'd suggest holding off on the grain mill for now if you only use 1 or 2 lbs per batch. I know a corona mill is fairly cheap, but there's other things that will probably make a bigger difference for your beer, like a wort chiller, bigger kettle / mash tun, etc.

if you go to fully all grain, then yeah, a grain mill would be a good purchase. and probably save you a few bucks per batch since you can buy in bulk and they probably charge a little to crush it for you

Back