Grain Questions

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #58898, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Brewer #58898

Brewer #58898 New Member

I'm a partial mash brewer and usually use about 1-2 lbs of grain per 5 gal batch. I don't have a grain mill so I have been having the grains crushed by the company I purchase my ingredients from. Mail time averages 3-4 days; and often I don't use the grains for a week or so after I get them so total elapsed time might be two weeks. Is it a problem to have the grain crushed so long before being used? Do they get stale? Should I refrigerate them until used? Would the beer be better if I invested in a grain mill so I can crush right before I brew?

Also, I often end up with left-over grain because the recipe might call for half pound and I have to buy in full pound increments. I have been putting the left-over crushed grain in zip locks and storing in the fridge for future use. How long does the grain last like this?

Thanks in advance?
    Hugh

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I wouldn't refrigerate, keep them cool and dry sealed air tight and the will last you 6 months at least

3. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

Don't refrigerate them. Getting them crushed a couple weeks ahead of time is fine as long as they stay dry. They will eventually go stale, but it usually takes a while. Moisture will make them go bad sooner.

4. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

and now for my 2 cents.

without knowing what other equipment you do / don't have, I'd suggest holding off on the grain mill for now if you only use 1 or 2 lbs per batch. I know a corona mill is fairly cheap, but there's other things that will probably make a bigger difference for your beer, like a wort chiller, bigger kettle / mash tun, etc.

if you go to fully all grain, then yeah, a grain mill would be a good purchase. and probably save you a few bucks per batch since you can buy in bulk and they probably charge a little to crush it for you