grain agitation

Battle Stations

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I thought since I batch sparge the grain agitation is really important to extract as much starches as possible. So last batch I used a Paint mixer on a drill and it worked superbly. Just wondering if I'm the first one that's ever used this method, and what you're inputs would be.

Attachments

• 1393785272503.jpg
    1393785272503.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,086
Ive done it many times until my paint mixer rusted lol any way "they say" and I don't know who they are but they say don't mix hot wort lol I did it and it worked fine even helped the hops get a better aroma

Yea it seems like it works pretty well to get all the sugars out of the grain. I don't really stir the wort in the boil, I just let the boil move things around... I just use the mixer before my first and second runs to make sure I get all the sugars.

well in the mash you don't want to chop up soft husk, it will end up adding a husk flavor and color to the beer so go very slow and remember if not aluminum it will rust

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Treat your mash gently! Aggressive stirring will introduce oxygen into the mash and also may break down some of the hull material. Neither are good for your beer.
The enzymes will do their work if given the correct temperature, moisture and Ph.
Focus on achieving the correct mash conditions, not so much the excessive stirring.
Good Luck,
Brian

I tend to agree with the "treat it gently" school. My method of stirring: A stainless steel spoon and elbow grease. Works very well and doesn't get oxygen into the warm mash.

Gotta go with the gentle stir. I use a RIMS system and I stir 2 or 3 times but gently to make sure no grain globs up. the recirculation clears it well before drain to kettle. Neat to watch the mash change consistency as it converts.
Careful RIZZ that bare foot gets hot mash on it that would be an ouch. :cry:

Back