Glitch in Mash Ph calculation

royger

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently brewed this weekend using this recipe:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/963374/rye-neipa

Which uses 0.5Kg of acidulated malt and has a mash ph of ~5.3 according to the recipe. Water is also slightly adjusted. As I usually do I took a snapshot of the recipe for the brew session, and realized afterwards that the snapshot had a mash ph of ~5:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/966131/rye-neipa

I haven't touched anything on the snapshot, yet the ph is very different from the original recipe, and it makes me wonder why two identical recipes can have such a different ph. Which one is the correct one?

Roger.

Hmm, I can't spot anything out of place. Grains are all classified correctly, mash guidelines are the same, water profile and adjustments are the same.

@Yooper has a much better grasp of the water chemistry features than I do. Any ideas?

I experienced this last week while editing one of my recipes to using distilled water. Try deleting a fermentable and adding it back in one at a time. That is how I got it to work.

To add to the confusion, if I open the top recipe with 5.37, then copy and edit it I get a pH of 4.99 without making any changes.

If he has a water profile linked to the recipe, try deleting and relinking.

There really isn't any need to link recipes and water profiles any more.

What do you mean? If you don't have a water calc linked, the water profile really doesn't "work". You can get a mash pH estimate, but the way it works is to link a water calc to have the most accurate prediction.

What do you mean? If you don't have a water calc linked, the water profile really doesn't "work". You can get a mash pH estimate, but the way it works is to link a water calc to have the most accurate prediction.
Hi Yooper
What does the water calculator do that isn't done in the recipe editor?
Select water source, select desired profile, make water additions, get results, make beer!

water.JPG

The water calc shows you the additions and the contributions they make, separates them into mash/sparge additions and calculates the mash pH if you have sparge additions, etc. You don’t have to use it- but you can’t see all of the contributions, especially if you are starting with alkaline water and want to reduce the pH of the sparge water, etc.

Back