Geysers?

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I can't leave well enough alone, I thought it would be a good idea to bottle half of caribou slobber regular (per kit) and then put some coconut and vanilla in the other half, let it sit another week... So it's only been a week, but I thought I'd check one last night to see how it's coming along. I popped the top, heard the release, had enough time to think, "seems likes it carbing up good", then it geysered out; not like shot to the ceiling, but foamed out aggressively for a good 5-10 seconds. It tasted good, it's not infected. ... so, I think:

1) I put another one in the fridge (certainly it should have be chilled before popping it open); will see if it acts any different tonight.

2) I could not find a coconut or anything labeled as unsweetened, so I just used the stuff from the baking isle. So, I probably got more sugars introduced, re-activated fermentation it wasn't really done fermenting when I bottled so now I've got beer that's really no different than if I'd used way to much priming sugar.
(I should have known better, but I was hell-bent on doing this and in a big hurry)

3) If tonights sample doesn't do the same thing, I should put all 20 bottles in the fridge and stop the fermentation... so I don't get bottle bombs after another week.

Make sense? Do I have it right?

- I didn't check the gravity before I bottled. Mistake.
- I did toast the coconut before putting it in.
- There is some sediment in the bottom of the bottles, very little, but more than I've seen in anything previous.

So you added coconut and vanilla and then let it sit a week before bottling, or you added and then bottled?
If you let it sit for a week after adding it, it should have been done. Not only that, depending on how well you toasted the coconut, you may have destroyed the natural sugars that were originally present.

It sounds like you may have had a dirty bottle.

Brian

Let it sit another week after adding it. Toasted the coconut just until it started to tan, then put it in a bag (cheese cloth tied off with fishing line) in the bucket with the vanilla and beer. I cleaned and rinsed the bottles with PBW and then santized with star san.

MrBIP said:
3) If tonights sample doesn't do the same thing, I should put all 20 bottles in the fridge and stop the fermentation... so I don't get bottle bombs after another week.

I can say from experience that putting your bottles in the fridge will not stop the yeast. It will slow them down but not stop them regardless of the strain. I commonly keep yeast samples in my fridge for fast fermentation test, and add fresh wort into the jar so that the yeast have something to feed on. At least once a week I have to crack the lids on my jars to release the pressure. Depending on the strain and amount yeast in the jar, some of them have considerable pressure. Those little suckers do rather well at fridge temps.

Well, the one in the fridge did not geyser out; it's got carbination after only a week and that quickly dissapates. Perhaps, I'll just let them sit another week and try chilling another.
It's tastes fine (not really getting coconut and vanilla, but's not infected .. that I can taste).

It still sounds like a dirty bottle.
It happens. Let it sit for another week and then check one. Likely they're fine.
Brian

Maybe I got one that I missed a step on? I got a process, sink full of PBW, wash, rinse twice, dry .. sink full of star san, wash, dry (no rinse) ... caps soaked in star san .. fill up the bottles ..

The second bottle in the fridge for 24 hours, very different .. normal... not fully carbed, but certainly on it's way..

Just wondering if I'm going to be awakened to the sounds of exploding bottles one night... but, I'm guessing not.

Back