German Rausch Beer

DaGriz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,
New member here looking for some info Been home brewing for almost a year now So far only extract "kits" , not ready to attempt all grain Need more experience before I take the leap

I looking for an extract recipe for German Rausch Beer. So far I have stuck out and sure could use some asssitance

I'm unaware of any extracts for smoked malts.

you could try adding some liquid smoke at the end of your boil, but i'm not sure how much to add.
or, if you're steeping grains, you could get a half to a pound of smoked malt to steep first. personally, i'd lean towards using the malt, it seems more "natural"

You could always steep some smoked malt for flavor if you didn't want the "liquid smoke" version and didn't want to smoke your own grains. Normally smoked malt has to be mashed but I'd think the flavor would carry over. Or you could do a partial mash. This article talks about brewing a Belgian Wit using a partial mash but the process is the same for your beer:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Partial-Mash ... _43-1.html

The article JC mentions has an extract version of Rauchbier at the bottom. Normally I have very good luck with the BYO recipes but as with any, you'll have to try it and see how it works under your circumstances.

I've done an extract beer where I steeped smoked malt. The smoke flavor will definitely come through that way. The BYO style profile recipe should be good, or there should be a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainajef or however you spell his last name. That book is a good one to pick up, you can look at his recipes and get a starting off point for making your own when you want to start doing your own recipes.

do you remember how much smoked malt you steeped? or at least the percentage compared to the extract.

i looked back at my one and only use of smoke malt, and it was about 3.5%. It's been over a year since i made it, but i don't recall too much smokiness coming through. Maybe I didn't use enough, or maybe the hop schedule covered some of it up (idk what I was thinking when i made that recipe, maybe I was clearing out some old ingredients?)

I'd love to try that malt again. Someone here (maybe Ozarks or Nosy?) put the idea of a bacon-inspired / flavored beer into my head, might be good

I looked back at all of the beers I used smoked malt in and it varied too much to say and exact amount, most were full bodied and very flavorful beers already so it would depend on the beer, some 1/2 pound, some 1 pound per 11.5 pound batches

an example, you could barely taste it in this from all the other flavors
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... smoked-ale

you weren't kidding Ozarks, there's a lot going on in that beer

the beer I did with steeped smoked malt was a 1 gallon experiment batch. I used 4 oz of smoked malt, and it was enough to give it a definite smoked taste.

Back