German Pilsen Ale

pedrovic

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, Brewers!

This will be my second attempt (the first was a disaster :().
I will use the ingredients I have at home at the moment, as I am in social isolation due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

If possible, give feedback on my recipe. I have Pilsen malt, Saaz hops and US-05 yeast. It would be something like a "German Pilsen Ale" not cataloged by the BJCP.

Here in Brazil the measurements is in the metric system (sorry).
The volume of my recipe is very small (5 litres) and I use BIAB method.
The values is from BrewTarget software.

Thanks for listening.

GERMAN PILSEN ALE

Batch Size 5 L
Boil Size 6,8 L
Boil Time 1 hr
Efficiency 60%
OG 1,026 sg
FG 1,006 sg
ABV 2,6%
IBU 22,5
Color 6,6 srm
Estimated calories (per 33 cl) 78

Fermentables
Agrária Pilsen Grain - 1,100 kg
BestMälz Aromatic Grain - 100,000 g

Hops
Saaz 3,8% - 10g, Boil 50min, Pellet

Yeast
Safale American Ale US-05 Dry - 2,32 g

For one, I wouldn't put any Aromatic at all. I was going to make a joke about using 100,000g but then remembered that most places use the comma where we use the period in numbers. For a good German pils, use about 95% to 100% Pilsner malt, the other 5% can be a foam enhancer (Carafoam) or acid malt to correct your pH. It needs about 45 IBUs of Saaz or Hallertau (Hallertau is more likely in German Pils, Saaz in Bohemian, but it's still your choice). You are using an ale yeast - US-05 will work if you can keep it on the low end of the fermentation temperature. You'll still get some ester production, not generally appropriate in a Pilsner, but still a good beer. If you have the yeast and the space, a true lager yeast and cool fermentation will make the most stylistically correct Pils.

For the record, I love German Pils above all other beers. Done right, it is a thing of beauty. Good luck with yours!

For one, I wouldn't put any Aromatic at all. I was going to make a joke about using 100,000g but then remembered that most places use the comma where we use the period in numbers. For a good German pils, use about 95% to 100% Pilsner malt, the other 5% can be a foam enhancer (Carafoam) or acid malt to correct your pH. It needs about 45 IBUs of Saaz or Hallertau (Hallertau is more likely in German Pils, Saaz in Bohemian, but it's still your choice). You are using an ale yeast - US-05 will work if you can keep it on the low end of the fermentation temperature. You'll still get some ester production, not generally appropriate in a Pilsner, but still a good beer. If you have the yeast and the space, a true lager yeast and cool fermentation will make the most stylistically correct Pils.

For the record, I love German Pils above all other beers. Done right, it is a thing of beauty. Good luck with yours!
Thank you very much, Nosybear! It will help me to make a better beer.
Regards

I update my recipe using the Brewer's Friend app (Win)

Pilsen Ale
German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 5.0
Total Grain (kg): 1.131
Total Hops (g): 10.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 3.2 (EBC): 6.3
Bitterness (IBU): 17.1 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.074 kg German - Pilsner (94.96%)
0.057 kg German - CaraFoam (5.04%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.5% Alpha) @ 50 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend

Back