German Pale Ale?

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by gokcenami, Apr 1, 2019.

1. gokcenami

gokcenami New Member

I have some Tettnang and Hallertau hops which I had bought to brew some Pilsner, but I'm done with that style already and I don't want to waste my hops. I wanted to brew a hoppy and tasty pale ale like an American style using those hops.

I like my version of Sierra Nevada PA clone and I wanted to adapt it to German hops.
    I can't find American 2-row in my country that's why I'm already using German Pale Ale malt.
    Here's the APA recipe that I want to adapt:
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/791092/american-pale-ale

What would your recommendations be for the hop utilisation? Will Hallertau give me nice flavor? How about Tettnang, could it be used somewhere in this recipe?

Thanks!

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Go for it! Let the calculator figure out the hop utilization (Yank spelling), I wouldn't dry hop with Noble hops but that's my preference, let the hops stay in the boil. Hallertau is more herbal, Tettnang a bit spicier, I wouldn't blend them. German beers are traditionally single-hopped but you can use Magnum as your bittering hop, then choose one of the two for your flavor. Should make an interesting beer!

gokcenami likes this.
  3. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

Just sub in one of the hops for the cascade in that recipe. Same amounts. Call it a hoppy blond and enjoy, it should taste pretty good.

gokcenami likes this.
  4. BilltownBrewingCo

BilltownBrewingCo Active Member

Real Estate Development