German IPK

I'm guessing the high bitterness is to account for the thicker mouth feel?

if it were me i would knock that bitterness down to 60 or 75 and bring the ending gravity to at least 15 and it should be a great beer

Or use sugar to bring down the viscosity (mouth feel).

I say go for it! Hoppy malty beers are not brewed enough! The kolsch yeast could put a different possible crispness to it. The malt could stand out well even still.

Interesting comments...
With a 1.079 OG it's unlikely even with sugar to get the FG much lower and with the Kolsch yeast I want more mouthfeel.
The bitterness will need to be firm in order to "balance" the beer. My BU/GU ratio is fine for an IPA which is the base style.
I used Crystal in conjunction with the Hallertau on the finish because it's more assertive than Hallertau and still has the noble lineage.
Also notice the water. I will dilute my water (willoughby) 50% with distilled. This will get any mineral contribution out of the way. I will need to add acid and gypsum to it though.
Other comments?
Brian

Without the minerals make the magnum 1.5 or 1.75. Hops are tops.

Looks like you've thought it through. It's not my beer but hey, go for it!

i feel a little stupid, but what does IPK stand for? Imperial something something?

jmcnamara said:
i feel a little stupid, but what does IPK stand for? Imperial something something?
If you're stupid, so am I. I was wondering the same, but got sidetracked from posting the very same question.
I am guessing K stands for Kölsch, but I am still not sure about the P...

I had one of my employees convert it to an extract with steeping grains and brew it.
It went to cold crash a few days ago. I'm not expecting great things from it though. We'll see in a week or so. :mrgreen:
Brian

Back