German/American Wheat beer

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am planning my next brew day and fancied a making a wheat beer. Only thing is can't seem to stop thinking I want American hops in it. I've changed the recipe back and forth from a traditional German style wheat beer to something more American. Do you think the German malt bill will work with the American hops ?

Also do you think the traditional orange and coriander additions would still work ?

Any help or opinions appreciated.

Cheers
Matt
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/593675/wheat-supremacy-does-usa

Last edited:
Once you mentioned orange and coriander, my take switched from German wheat beer (generally not spiced) to Belgian witbier (spiced). A Wit will support American hops in measure. Key is restraint! You don't want a hop-forward Wit, or a spice-forward Wit for that matter. Balance is key to that style. If you want a German Weizen, spices are out of place - low hop rates and fermentation character (banana and clove) are where the flavor comes from. And if you want an American Wheat, all bets are off, just keep in mind that wheat has a very mild flavor in beer.

I've had a couple of hopped up wheats that were great. One with simcoe and one with amarillo. I like both those varieties, so I found them very pleasing and refreshing over the hot summer months.

Thanks for the replies. Getting my wits and weizens in a twist.

Nosybear, when you say that wheat has a very mild flavour, how would this influence recipe choice ? Sorry for question but this is only my 3rd beer and there is a lot to learn.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for the replies. Getting my wits and weizens in a twist.

Nosybear, when you say that wheat has a very mild flavour, how would this influence recipe choice ? Sorry for question but this is only my 3rd beer and there is a lot to learn.

Cheers
Matt
First, tell me what you're trying to achieve. From the initial description and recipe, I can't tell whether you want a Belgian Wit, a German Weizen, an American Wheat or a Wheat IPA. Wheat has a mild, bready, grainy flavor that's easy to overwhelm or that makes a perfect palette for the spices of a Belgian Wit or the yeast of a German Weizen. Can you describe the beer you want to make?

First, tell me what you're trying to achieve. From the initial description and recipe, I can't tell whether you want a Belgian Wit, a German Weizen, an American Wheat or a Wheat IPA. Wheat has a mild, bready, grainy flavor that's easy to overwhelm or that makes a perfect palette for the spices of a Belgian Wit or the yeast of a German Weizen. Can you describe the beer you want to make?

There is some confusion on my behalf. I though that German Wheat was the spiced variety. I have duly noted the info from your previous post. I guess I am looking for some of the flavour of the Belgian style Wit but with a bit more hop character from the American hops. I see your point now about drowning out the flavour of the wheat.

Thanks for the assistance. I appreciate it.

Matt

Got it! Then what you plan will work fine, both the coriander and the orange peel (see if you can get bitter orange peel if you can, more flavor!). American hops will work fine - I'd stay away from dank though, likely into something flowery or citrussy. I've seen several Witbier recipes that use American hops and done them myself.

Got it! Then what you plan will work fine, both the coriander and the orange peel (see if you can get bitter orange peel if you can, more flavor!). American hops will work fine - I'd stay away from dank though, likely into something flowery or citrussy. I've seen several Witbier recipes that use American hops and done them myself.

Excellent, thanks again. I have got the bitter orange. It's dried. Well I have whats left of it. The dog got it when posted through the letter box and did a good job of scattering it through the house. Didn't eat it though. Its bloody bitter. I have Citra , Simcoe and Eldorado in the freezer.
Its addictive this brewing. I was always a keen beer drinker. Got more and more picky until I thought I could do a better job myself. First pint of a red rye IPA I brewed tonight. Life is sweet with a beer, more sweet with one you brewed yourself (and a wife that lets you takeover part of the house with industrial looking equipment!!!)

Cheers

Matt

Excellent, thanks again. I have got the bitter orange. It's dried. Well I have whats left of it. The dog got it when posted through the letter box and did a good job of scattering it through the house. Didn't eat it though. Its bloody bitter. I have Citra , Simcoe and Eldorado in the freezer.
Its addictive this brewing. I was always a keen beer drinker. Got more and more picky until I thought I could do a better job myself. First pint of a red rye IPA I brewed tonight. Life is sweet with a beer, more sweet with one you brewed yourself (and a wife that lets you takeover part of the house with industrial looking equipment!!!)

Cheers

Matt
Just watch out with the dog with your hops FWIW their poisonous to dog and can probably make him or her real crook for chewing up your hoppy mail!

Just watch out with the dog with your hops FWIW their poisonous to dog and can probably make him or her real crook for chewing up your hoppy mail!

Thanks for the heads up on that, I had no idea. To be fair to him him he mostly opens things as opposed to eating. He's like a little secretary !!

Anyhow, Made my hoppy wit thing today. all went well apart from some serious valve balls up. Basically pumped 20l out side on to decking. 50l made it into FV so could be worse !!!!!

Cheers

Matt

Back