Gas quick connect loose

jay3847

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just starting with kegging after buying a refrurb kit. All is working.... except the gas line leaks at the quick connect and I assume that is because it is loose.

1) The right post is in the right place (proved by the notch).
2) Gas goes in but leaks out very quickly.
3) The beer line quick disconnect is nice and snug on the post but the gas one is really loose.
4) I am pretty sure is it all the way pushed in
5) It isn't the post itself (soap bubble test)..

Before having to drive the miles to the LHBS, does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Can you post a pic? Might help. What color is the gas fitting, gray or black?

0FF8BDE4-E04A-486E-9FC9-1E99C6E260D2.jpg

Interesting. My choice of ball lock fittings are black for beverage or grey for gas. I’ve never seen that color.

Make sure your orings are new, make sure all of the ball bearings are in the disconnect, even one out will create a leak

More Beer sells them. I also tried their hint at seating the disconnect. No good.

The orings were supposed to be new in the refurb, but I think that is likely the issue. Still, the disconnect is VERY loose. I wouldn't think the oring would be responsible for tightening it up that much.

mine are black for beer and white for gas, mine all fit very tight and I have had ball bearings pop out and my popit valve stick and leak beer, I'm sure the same could happen for gas

The ball bearings are all that. That's why I showed a picture of the inside of the disconnect. Do you think they could have put the wrong post in there when refurbing it? It is the notched one, but it just seems to be the wrong dimensions for the disconnect.

Argh! Hate being a rookie.

its possible you got a lemon quick connect or a bad post, can you swap the quick connect, it shouldn't or be very hard to remove, they should just snap on easy to the correct side but fit tight after seated, that center spring could be week in the connect

2) Gas goes in but leaks out very quickly.
If the keg is pressurizing and then escaping, you just need to find where it's leaking from. Pressure the keg, take the QDs off and check the posts, main ring and pressure release. If it's leaving the keg with the lines off, there's a leak in the keg. If it holds pressure in the keg, but leaks out only with the gas hooked up, there's a leak in the gas line side.
You should be able to find that without the keg. Open the cylinder valve, turn the reg pressure to 20 or so, put the QD under water and see where the bubbles are coming from. If you don't see bubbles, check the line and regulator.
If all that is in order, then it's the wrong size QD for the post. Get a gray QD and in the mean time, pressure the keg, disconnect the gas and turn off the cylinder valve.
Do you think they could have put the wrong post in there when refurbing it?
The gas post is the smaller of the two...if it were a liquid post, a gas QD would be too tight, not too loose.

The problem is absolutely the connection between the quick disconnect and the post. The keg is airtight, the line is airtight, but the quick connect won't seal. I called the LHBS I bought it from and they told me to bring it in. Sigh! (that will be an hour of driving this weekend).

What is interesting about J.A's comment is that both posts are the same size. Not a good sign.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll post the resolution this weekend.

Reactions: J A
is that both posts are the same size.
The difference in standard ball lock posts is very small...I just measured 3 different kegs and every one shows a smaller gas post by about 10 or 15 thousandths. Again, the liquid is the larger of the two so that the gas is harder to get onto the liquid post. If you had a liquid post on the gas side, you would have trouble getting a gray connector on it. I think the keg is fine and your connector is funky.
And, again...if the keg is holding pressure, just remove the gas connector so that it doesn't leak out. You can totally carb and serve the keg like that. I do it with every keg I have. You'll have to resolve it eventually, but you don't have to make an emergency trip just to be able to drink this particular beer. ;)

My eyes are old but is there an oring on the top of that gas post? The one that is suppose to seal the quick connect? The way it is shadowed it doesn't look like it.
Funny. I took a second look at that, too. I decided there was an o ring when he first posted the pic. Now I’m not so sure.

looks like it could be a shadow if you feel the post the oring should be wider than the post

Here's the resolution. It was a bad quick disconnect. Switched out to the grey kind and it it worked like a champ. Not sure what was wrong with the other one, but I don't really care now. :)

Back