Gallons or US gallons

It's US gallons, eight pints to the gallon. Hey, I thought your pints were 500 ml?

Bigger than ours. There are 16.9 ounces US in a half-liter, 16 ounces is an American pint. But sorry for the wise-a** comment above: The measurements here are good old US gallons.

As an Australian who learnt to drink beer watching men now in their 80s the only acceptable size is 200mL (7 fl oz). The beer stays nice and cold to the end of the glass and that was important, as it was pretty awful lager.

It was an amazing thing being the bartender for a shout of 15 blokes doing glasses (the slang for that size in Melbourne). You barely had time to complete pouring the first shout before someone was coming up for the second shout. They really raced through them, probably the culture of the 6 o'clock swill still hanging around, even though it'd been repealed for decades.

I still like that size now, but for completely different reasons. It lets me get through the interesting parts of a 20 tap list without getting hammered.

I sure hope that the Donald doesn't find out that we are using US gallons here in Canada...

As an Australian who learnt to drink beer watching men now in their 80s the only acceptable size is 200mL (7 fl oz). The beer stays nice and cold to the end of the glass and that was important, as it was pretty awful lager.

It was an amazing thing being the bartender for a shout of 15 blokes doing glasses (the slang for that size in Melbourne). You barely had time to complete pouring the first shout before someone was coming up for the second shout. They really raced through them, probably the culture of the 6 o'clock swill still hanging around, even though it'd been repealed for decades.

I still like that size now, but for completely different reasons. It lets me get through the interesting parts of a 20 tap list without getting hammered.
200 ml glasses called "Stange" are still customary in parts of Germany, specifically Cologne and Dusseldorf.

20cl glasses are also common in the Netherlands, Belgium and France. That would be a sampler here. A good swig and the glass is empty. Here the pints are either 16 or 20oz, depending on which pub you drop into. A much better volume for true sampling.

I sure hope that the Donald doesn't find out that we are using US gallons here in Canada...
Dang, I thought that was really funny...

Back