Funky Golden Strong

bradyt88

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on a recipe. Link below:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/625842/funky-golden-strong

We want to create a Belgian Golden Strong but add a little funk to it. Did a bunch of research regarding kettle souring or bottle conditioning with Brett, but nothing quite tickled our fancy as we're looking for a quick method of souring.

Ended up going with the idea to add 2.5lbs of Acidulated Malt after the mash and before sparging.

Also threw in a bit of a twist and would like to dry hop with Amarillo or Mouteka with the thinking that the citrus from either hop will play well with the tartness from the acid malt and spiciness from the Mittlefruh.

Thoughts and/or changes you'd make?

Fwiw, kettle souring is pretty quick and gives a nice clean sour taste as opposed to the funky sour

Fwiw, kettle souring is pretty quick and gives a nice clean sour taste as opposed to the funky sour
The problem with that is I don't have the means to keep it at high temps forfa few days nor can I purge it with CO2 in the kettle. I suppose I could use my SS brew bucket conical.

Any advice in that aspect?

When I did it, I just wrapped the kettle in some blankets in a plastic tub. I think I even heated it up a little on the stove on day 2 or 3. It's not perfect, but it did the job 2 out of 3 times.
If you fill the kettle most of the way, there's little headspace so not a lot of o2. You can put down some plastic wrap or aluminum foil on top of the mash (with the lid on too) to help block some o2
The one time I had to chuck it was when I didn't have the kettle filled up...smelled like baby vomit

What pitch rate should I use for this yeast when making a starter? Other forums have mentioned .75-1 million cells/ml/⁰P

This is about a 1.7-2 L starter with a stirplate.

What pitch rate should I use for this yeast when making a starter? Other forums have mentioned .75-1 million cells/ml/⁰P

This is about a 1.7-2 L starter with a stirplate.
Try the yeast pitch calculator in this site

Back