Fruity finish yeast

^Tony^

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good day folks! I have been inspired to brew up a low ABV (3-4%) fruity cerveza. I would like to use a yeast that has a nice fruity finish. Preferably a dry yeast. Any suggestions?

Depends on the fruit you want. You can get a lot of banana/tutti frutti from some Belgian yeasts and banana/clove from German hefeweizen yeast. The addition of wheat malts can enhance those flavors. For something that's more peachy/stonefruit try US-05 at exactly 64 degrees.

You'll get some citrus that I taste as orange from some of the Lithuanian and Norwegian yeasts. I've tried the Simonaitis yeast and others can weigh in on the Norwegian strains.

I recently brewed a Simcoe-Citra pale ale batch split into two fermenters. 35 IBUs. One used repitched Notingham, and the other Lallemand Voss Kveik. Notty fermented at 68F, Voss pitched at 90F and wrapped in a heat pad for a few days. The Notty batch tasted as usual. The Voss batch had a decidedly sour orange flavor. Not too sour, but there. Almost tart. The orange wasn't a "bright" zesty flavor, but more subdued and earthy. The yeast flavor just about displaced the hop flavor.

I recently brewed a Simcoe-Citra pale ale batch split into two fermenters. 35 IBUs. One used repitched Notingham, and the other Lallemand Voss Kveik. Notty fermented at 68F, Voss pitched at 90F and wrapped in a heat pad for a few days. The Notty batch tasted as usual. The Voss batch had a decidedly sour orange flavor. Not too sour, but there. Almost tart. The orange wasn't a "bright" zesty flavor, but more subdued and earthy. The yeast flavor just about displaced the hop flavor.
I'd pretty much agree with all you said when I use the same yeast fermented on the warm side.

The Voss batch had a decidedly sour orange flavor. Not too sour, but there. Almost tart. The orange wasn't a "bright" zesty flavor, but more subdued and earthy. The yeast flavor just about displaced the hop flavor.
Uucchhh! :eek:

I have never had that sour taste from VOSS, have used it in NEIPA'S, and, oddly, a coffee porter. I don't get any fruit our sour in the 6.5 porter. But the tropical fruity was outstanding in the two NEIPA'S. That may have more to do with the copious amount of hops than the yeast though.

I have never had that sour taste from VOSS, have used it in NEIPA'S, and, oddly, a coffee porter. I don't get any fruit our sour in the 6.5 porter. But the tropical fruity was outstanding in the two NEIPA'S. That may have more to do with the copious amount of hops than the yeast though.

What temp did you ferment the NEIPA's?

Hornindal will give you more fruit flavours than Voss I find. The kviek strain I've got comming my way (fingers crossed they let it into the country pls) Framgarden is supposed to get some fruits going too.

Hornidal you say? I have never tried that. I've tried Notty, Munich, S-04, S-05, Belle Saison (1 of my fav's), and Wyeast 1388. I get citrus sweet lemon/lime from S-05 sometimes.

Hmm. Anyone every try a cerveza with Ardennes 3522?

You'll get some citrus that I taste as orange from some of the Lithuanian and Norwegian yeasts. I've tried the Simonaitis yeast and others can weigh in on the Norwegian strains.
What is Simonaitis? Is there one that gives stone fruit and/or orange?

Back