Force Carb the Keg

Hank Plantagenet

Trial Member
Reaction score
is there any measurable difference (time or efficiency) in results when carbing thru (a) the gas-in port versus (b) the liquid-out port?

The articles say that using the liquid-out port provides "more surface area," but that seems utterly nonsensical. How many square mils does the bottom outlet of that tiny tube provide? Sure, you get a bit of bubbling thru the liquid as the keg reaches pressure (say, 30 psi), but that should essentially stop in a few seconds, unless your keg is leaking CO2.

Don't you accomplish as much (or more) by shaking the keg?

Last edited:
it rises to the top almost immediately since CO2 is the lightest substance in the keg so I wouldn't worry, if you want it to carb faster lay the keg on its side and rock it back and fourth but I personally don't recommend it since it clouds the beer up

it rises to the top almost immediately since CO2 is the lightest substance in the keg so I wouldn't worry, if you want it to carb faster lay the keg on its side and rock it back and fourth but I personally don't recommend it since it clouds the beer up
In the past I have just used the gas-in port, not shaken the keg, and waited a week or more to drink, but I have recently read several articles which say I should have been carbing thru the liquid-out port.

Just want everyone's thoughts on whether this is absolute silliness.

the way it works is the more surface the C02 touches the faster it carbs but its not instant so coming from the bottom might help some but not a huge amount

I force carb from the gas side at 30 psi. I rock the keg after it's chilled for about 3-4 minutes. I'm happy to drink it the next day, but I usually don't have a tap available that soon anyway.

I tried it through the tube on the last couple of kegs I just carbed up. Since I burst carb for a couple of days, I don't think it made a lot of difference. I fill cold and hit it with 30 or so lbs and let it sit overnight. Then I top it up a few times to 15 or 20 over the next day, tapering off to the desired volume and then just check it and top it as needed for a couple more days and it's good to go.
If you're doing the set and forget method, maybe it would be better carbed sooner going through the tube.

My 2 c worth I'm sure it wouldn't make much difference. I practically do the same as JA no rocking and rolling for me I can't anyways because gas line is too short:rolleyes:. I burst carb on 30psi for 24 hours then release pressure to 10-12 psi and leave it here for day or two pull beer drink and be merry oh and watch bubble rise through glass:D.

Reactions: J A
I will be going the quick carb method in a few weeks when my pilsner is finished lagering.

My ale was bottle conditioned with tablets it's very tasty but slightly under carbed I went the 3 tablet route to avoid bottle bombs being it was my first time.

I'm gonna open them one at a time add 2 more tablets and recap them and see what happens. Theoretically it should work. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

I've only kegged two beers, but both of them were carbonated with the "set it and forget it" approach. Both beers were fully carbonated in 10 days.

I would recommend against it. If there is a leak in your line during the carbonation period, the beer can back flow and mess up your regulator. I'm not sure if most regulators come with check valves, but a check valve would allow that.

I use the "Burst carb" method. Set to 30 psi in the kegerator and check every 12 hours. I can get a 5 gallon keg close to perfect in 36-48 hours. Then turn down to serving pressure (5-15 psi, depending) and it'll finish carbing as you drink it. I only have a 2 tap kegerator, so this method is essential for me.

I have only once over-carbonated a beer. It's currently in the basement waiting for its turn again.

Back