Force carb. Keg.

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could pressurize the keg, disconnect the gas and put the pressurized keg into a fridge not connected to CO2, would the beer carbonate that way.

Would the keg pressure need to be adjusted for it work that way ?

I suppose you could but you would have to keep re-pressurizing it to get enough CO2 dissolved in there. That's the regulators job. I'm curious why you would want to do that? Just put it in the kegerator.

Force carb - set the pressure to 30 and wait 32 hrs
or
Slow Carb - set the pressure to serving pressure (~10 for my ales) and wait a week.

the beer will absorb the carbonation and be under carbed unless you fill it up every day in the fridge

So youve maxed you keggerator space then? Yep as OZ.said youll have to keep going back to keggerator and toping surplus keg up.

And you can naturally carb it just like a big bottle with priming sugar leave it out two weeks then put it in fridge...

That answers it, thanks.. Yeah, ran out of space and wanted to get away cheap and not buy another tank and regulator. .

How close to empty are you on your next keg? I've filled growlers and bottles before if i really need the space. Depending on the style, you could purge the new keg of oxygen and let sit till you have room. Room temp beer will take a lot of o2.

Bought a second keg, will keep one on deck now. May even try carbonating the keg naturally by using priming sugar.

That thought got me thinking again about my original post again. If a keg can be carbonated with priming sugar at room temp., we should be able to mathematically predict how much CO2 5 gallons of beer will absorb at room temperature at a given pressure. I can't imagine it would be close to maximum keg pressure, my guess is around 50 psi. Get up to that pressure and disconnect the gas tank, the beer will absorb and reduce pressure over time. Anyone ever try this ?

you don't need co2 in that situation the yeast will carb just like in a bottle, but more sediment in the bottom of the keg

I understand that, the question was related to my original post that started this thread.

Basically, could you pressurize a keg and disconnect the gas. Would keg carbonate ?

Read thread.

Thought I posted this chart for you earlier? Maybe not? https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
You could also hook up your O2 and use the shake and roll method.
Personally, if I wanted a keg carb'd up and ready just sitting out, I'd use sugar and be done with it.
Another option would simply be adding another block to your manifold. And running a line in or out of kegerator which may or may not require a hole being drilled.
There are many options. Just depends how creative and determined you are.
Regular sugar is dirt cheap. Easy. And pretty non-invasive.

so basically roughly 3 ways to carb a beer, CO2 at serving pressure always hooked up for 2 weeks, CO2 at high presure for 24 to 48 hours always hooked up, you can charge it every day with high pressure and the number of days would depend on how high and last use the yeast and priming sugar with no CO2 hooked up to carbonate, do that for 2 weeks warm

I understand that, the question was related to my original post that started this thread.

Basically, could you pressurize a keg and disconnect the gas. Would keg carbonate ?

Read thread.
I see what you are getting at here. I do believe it would provide carbonation - just not sure if it would be enough or end up too much. A lot would depend on temp. Ambient room temp swings a lot...

I have never tried it but assume it could work. You're honestly better off buying a splitter though so you can carb 2-4 kegs at a time. Right now I have two splitters hooked up and can carb 6 kegs at once.

If you do try the method you mentioned then be sure to post back with results!

you can always do the opposite use the co2 to force carb always hooked up but charge your drinking beer once and a while, that's how I do it when 2 kegs are done and 2 need to be carbed

you can always do the opposite use the co2 to force carb always hooked up but charge your drinking beer once and a while, that's how I do it when 2 kegs are done and 2 need to be carbed
Yep, I do the same! Haha, too lazy to add more lines to the manifold, so kegs that are already carb'd just get bumped when the pressure gets low. Sometimes, I've rotated one line to 3 kegs. It does work! I think the problem here though, is no room in the kegerator.

I should really add 3 more lines to my keezer for gas, but I'm to lazy to right now.

Well should hopefully be getting my 3 font and extra intertap today along with extra gas line will be worth it i hope.

Why can’t you pressurize to 25-30 psi, shake the s&$t out of it for 5 minutes or so and put it in the frig overnight. Bang! It’s carbed. It has to be cold of course. I do it all the time and it works great. I’ve drank the beer 2-3 hours after kegging it.

Read thread.
I do this all the time... don't own a keggerator just a spare fridge in the garage... start with 12-15 pounds of CO2 turn the gas off check it again in a day or two... hit with more gas as it gets absorbed.

Back