First Wort Addition IBUs?

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I was advised to try some FWH additions with low-alpha nobel hops to increase their efficiency and flavor.
But...when I change the hop addition in the editorto FWH it lowers the IBU rather than increasing it. Since the same hops are in for the wort through the boil, it seems that the editor should recognize that the hops will be in contact longer rather than shorter, but that's not the case. Is there a good way to estimate the additional uptake when using First Wort addition rather than just boil addition?
I doubt that accounting for the same hops twice in the editor(FWH and 60 minute boil) will give me an accurate count, but maybe?

first wort is deceiving, yes by theory it will add more bitterness but by your taste buds its actually smother so it seems less bitter and has more flavor, in this case the perceived ibu would seem lower so the script portrays is as it seams to you and it is accurate Ive tested it it many times

Well, I'm skeptical, but I'll trust your experience and throw them in that way. This is for a Pils and of course some hop bitterness is important, but if I end up with decent perceived bitterness and a bigger skunky-pot/hoppy noble flavor profile, I'll be happy with that.
I'm using two ounces of Hallertau for bittering rather than a small amount of Magnum because I want to increase the depth of flavor rather than just make it bitter. Maybe I'll add one ounce in the FW and put one in at 60.

What you want to do is put your finishing hop in the first wort or mash and it will have a great flavor without losing hop aroma over time. this is a recipe I swear by its lite but never loses its hop backbone even after a month of aging, now I add my first wort in the mash and I continuously recirculate so that does make a difference

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... mmer-lager

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
What you want to do is put your finishing hop in the first wort or mash and it will have a great flavor without losing hop aroma over time. this is a recipe I swear by its lite but never loses its hop backbone even after a month of aging, now I add my first wort in the mash and I continuously recirculate so that does make a difference

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... mmer-lager

I'll be using that recipe as a basis for a "Cream Ale" using S-05. I think you mentioned in another post that you've brewed that same recipe with ale yeast, too. I've got some noble hops - Saphir and Hallertau Blanc - that I want to use up so I'll probably go that way with it. Should make a nice beer.
Thanks!

yes ive used 3 different ale yeast with this and all have a different mouth feel but they all were good, just a tip it seems to condition slow with US05 meaning the yeast does not drop very fast so this last batch I rushed too much to the tap and farting way too much lol

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
yes ive used 3 different ale yeast with this and all have a different mouth feel but they all were good, just a tip it seems to condition slow with US05 meaning the yeast does not drop very fast so this last batch I rushed too much to the tap and farting way too much lol

Yeah...I know what you mean. My wife really hates when I'm sampling beers early. :roll:

The US-05 is the one I'd use and it seems to do pretty well with a cold crash after a week in secondary.

I've got a couple of ales going with S-04 right now. The first one finished and dropped in less than a week. I probably should have just put it right into a keg, but I pulled it off into a secondary just to let the flavor clean up a little for a week before I keg it.
I pitched the second on this evening directly into the primary as soon as I pulled the first batch out. Pitched at 65 degrees wort temp at about 7:00. That stuff went insane!! It was fermenting full-on within a couple of hours and I just put on a blow-off because the lock was overflowing. And it had a really good headspace in the carboy. The way it's going, I expect it'll be down to FG within 48 hours. I wish it was a little cleaner flavored and attenuated a little better - I'd use it for everything. ;)

Back