First time, would love some feedback

Kormz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have brewed a fair few beers but never made my own recipe before. I am trying to get something close to my favorite 4 Pines beer (see attached pic).

I have made up a recipe i am hoping will be close or at least taste good. Would love some feedback on the recipe from someone that knows what they are doing.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/820101/f-e-a-r-aussie-ipa

upload_2019-5-5_17-57-18.png

Your ibu level is way higher then the one listed for the original. I'd love all the hops to close to flame out or in the whirlpool.

What he said^^^..
Also, there's no need for 2 types of Pale Ale Malt and I don't think you need any Cara/Crystal malt in a beer like this...the oats are doing the heavy lifting in terms of body and head and the fruit is giving you a lot of flavor that will be percieved as sweet.

These beer descriptions don't necessarily list all the ingredients in the grist or even all the hops (sometimes there's a standard bittering hop that breweries default to) but I'd start with the simplest version of just what's listed and see what you need to add or change from there.

Thanks guys,

I have already ordered the grains so i will have a go with those for now and next time ill stick with 1 Ale malt and ditch the Cara/Crystal malts.

I have tweaked the hops to get the ibu down to 30, is this still to high ?? if so how would i get it all the way down to 16 ??
Do i just remove some of the hops all together ?

Last edited:
I think you've probably gone too far with the hops. That doesn't seem to be much to work with overall. If your whirlpool unilization is on 10%, that's likely a little high. I use 4% and it seems to do pretty well in terms of predicting perceived bitterness. I'd look at dropping your utilization and seeing where you are and hit something at 10-15 minutes to establish a little something in the hops that will stick around through the process.
I did a juicy, hazy pale at a predicted 31 IBU and it was defnitely not too bitter. And I did a Citra IPA using a lot of Citra in the whirlpool at 4% utilization and the taste definitely seemed to match up pretty well with predicted IBUs based on comparison with a very similar commercial beer.

Thanks again,
I have got it down to 26 ibu now and have some hops going in at 15 mins and 5 mins so i will see how that goes.

Cheers for the help.

Reactions: J A
Also your water profile can chang percieved bitterness if using more sulphate it will really give the hops some bite. But looks like your using a miniscule amount anyways.
I'd double your dry hop amount too if your going for a juice bomb if not tripple them.

Back