First Time APA Recipe

BMFBlues

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first time trying to formulate my own recipe. Take a look at this pale ale and tell me if this would work:

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.092
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 5.06%
IBU (tinseth): 32.07
SRM (morey): 4.57

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (40.8%)
5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (40.8%)
0.25 lb - Flaked Wheat (2%)
2 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (16.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 17.23
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 8.13
1.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 6.7
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Aroma for 0 min

Wheat is added for head retention, and the Carapils to boost ABV a tad. I had heard late-addition hopping can sometimes produce better aroma and flavor, while still getting the bitterness needed. Anyway, how does this look?

have no issues with that beer and will be good, I have another similar, lets us know

woops read that wrong, 2 pounds of carapils not a good idea, it adds more head than wheat and the extract has carapils in it, I would cut that back to .5 lb and add corn sugar or more dme

Thanks! I was listening to an old episode of Brewing With Style, and Jamil suggested using Carapils to boost ABV and wheat for head retention. Should I ditch the wheat all together if I have the Carapils, or will the wheat help with foam?

today carapils is what we use for head retention and wheat will some what bland out the beer taste if enough is used, its up to you to keep the wheat, some people just like the taste, I use it for watering down my flavor some in a pale ale
according to the Briess website
for using carapils use up to 5% for increased foam, improved head retention and enhanced mouth feel in any beer style.

I'd leave the wheat out of an extract brew. If you're not mashing it, all it will add is starch and haze. Furthermore, it has oils that may cause head retention problems and, eventually, a soapy taste.

Okay...

Dropped the wheat, decreased Carapils to .5 lb, and added DME. Here's how it looks...

FERMENTABLES:
3.5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (38.9%)
2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (22.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.6%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (33.3%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 24.98
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Aroma for 15 min, IBU: 10.75
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Aroma for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1 gal

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: Yes

One other question - When I mash the grains, about how much water do I use?

Thanks a lot for the input. This will be my fourth brew. Each one has been a step. 2 Mr. Beer kits, then my first 5 gallon extract w/steeping grains, now a mini mash and my first recipe. I'll probably stay here for a bit, refine my process, work on good fermentation (need a fermentation chamber first!) and recipe building, and then work up to BIAB for all grain. I am loving the progression, enjoying the journey and learning tons!

you can steep the grains in a gallon or so of water.
I think the recipe looks good after your changes.

After a few more changes, I brewed this on Memorial Day weekend. Fermentation went perfectly, and although I missed the estimated OG by about 10 points, it fermented out under the estimated FG (OG = 1.052, FG = 1.008 - estimates were 1.062 and 1.012 respectively)! I tasted the sample I had in the hydrometer, and it's going to be a good one! It could go either as a hoppy APA, or a small IPA, but I think I will keep it as a pale ale. Here's the final recipe:

3 lbs. pale ale malt
1 lb. Vienna
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Crystal 20
3 lbs. Extra Light DME (added at 10 minutes left in boil)
1 lb. Amber DME
4 oz. Dextrose
1/2 Whirlfloc tablet @ 5 minutes

Hops:
1.5 oz Amarillo (30 minute)
1 oz. Amarillo (10 minutes)
1.5 oz. Amarillo (flame out)

2000ml starter of WLP001

I'll check back in with tasting notes once it's carbed up and ready to drink. I plan on bottling this weekend. Thanks everyone for the input and helping me craft such an awesome recipe, I really appreciate it!

Back