First sour

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a 5 gallon batch with very low ibu - 2.5-3 for my firsr lactobacillus try. I split it in to two 2.5 gallon batches to try two different approaches.

I'm souring first (don't know how long yet, trial and error mostly, but shooting for around 4-5 days) then adding Brett for the rest of the time. One will be blended with my barleywine from last year, the other I'm going to leave straight Brett/sour.

I was up late (about 3 am :shock: ) last night finishing. Woke up today and looked, as the wort cooled (pitched at 100° F) it sucked up about 1-2 pints of sanitizer........ Sad day... Hopefully the lacto survived. I sure am glad I split the batch though.

Mr. Lemming, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You must have had a blow-off tube into a jar of sanitizer. It's actually a good lesson about what happens when the beer temp is higher than ambient. I think you should let it ferment, bottle it up and sent the lot to Five Star :D Good luck with the other half.

Patience and sanitation are the key to world class homebrew. I've done the same silly mistake (only I used water) and the beer was fine. I don't know about Star San and it would be good to follow the previous advise about sending it in for analysis. The point I'm trying to make is for you not to feel alone, you are not the first (and will surely not be the last) to forget the role of temperatures when dealing with homebrew. Remember- 'don't worry- have a homebrew!' And good luck with that next batch!

I let it roll - the star san didn't kill the lacto, just slowed them, tried it today, and it is slowing souring.

Back