First single hope ipa

palko1858

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I with my friend brew our first single hope ipa. What do you think about our recipe? Thank you for yours tips and tricks.

Attachments

• Citra-IPA-Beer-Recipe-Brewers-Friend (4).pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 146
The grain bill is really muddled and busy.

I would say only use Pale malt and some Crystal malt ( 2-5% ) or simply go with Maris Otter all the way ( and maybe add some Crystal for colour, if that is something you want ).

But keeping it simple, will most definitely help teh hops shine.

Agree, mostly. I don't think the grain bill will be muddled but I don't understand the 50/50 split between two row and Maris Otter. One or the other: Maris's flavor is mild enough I can't think of a reason to cut it with two-row.

I'm with NB...Malt bill is fine except that the Maris and Pale are totally redundant. I use good Pilsner in a split with Maris or with my local maltster's pale malt, but no reason to split that way. Also, I personally prefer Biscuit or Victory in place of the Crystal, though I've done nearly exactly that same recipe using Pilsner, Pale, Munich and C-40.
I would say that unless you're just trying to save money on hops, using up IBUs at 60 defeats the purpose. I'd put no more than 1/3 of the IBUs into the 60 minute addition and load up the late additions more, as Boomer has done with his. That's where Citra really shines.

Back