first mocktoberfest brew

Other than you're worried about the wrong thing, no. The non-American ingredients perform just fine (as many of the frequent posters here with no access to American ingredients will attest). You can even measure them in Metric and they won't care!

Last edited:
I'll be honest I only brew what my LBS carries or i have in stock so subbing a German or English beer isn't that hard. I do like old school hops though but they are imported to the US sooo it's still a US beer ;)

Beer was invented with non-American ingredients! :p:p:p
Personally, I find that the Czech floor-malted Pilsner I use is superior to any American malt I've tried and even prefer it to the German Pils malts that I've used.
Though there are fine maltsters here in the US, there's zero advantage to using American malts, in most cases. There are skilled maltsters all over the world.

I would go ahead and use caramunich over the American crystal as well

I am Malt racially tolerant!

thanks but its not about the quality I like my provider its about the ingredients more about the unfamiliarity of the ingredients and making a recipe on my own using said unfamiliar ingredients but thanks for the feedback

Reactions: J A
thanks but its not about the quality I like my provider its about the ingredients more about the unfamiliarity of the ingredients and making a recipe on my own using said unfamiliar ingredients but thanks for the feedback
From the guy who tends to taste the experimental treatments when the Brulosophy guys come to our club meetings, don't spend too much time on the source of the ingredients. There isn't THAT much difference between German and American Pilsner malt. Brew it with Briess over Weyermann if you're more comfortable using Briess (full disclosure: I love me some Avangard Pilsner (German)).

Reactions: J A
thanks but its not about the quality I like my provider its about the ingredients more about the unfamiliarity of the ingredients
Like Nosy says...malts is malts, to a large extent. You won't get drastically different results with most Pilsner malts. I agree with your impulse to stick with your provider and a consistent supply of familiar ingredients as much as possible.
I concur with goshman's advice to use CaraMunich over Crystal. I use as a general replacement because I like the flavor better.

I brewed a mocktoberfest beginning of last September in a hurry using a grain bill from stuff I had laying around already crushed that was a year old. 22 days later I had a fest beer that was surprisingly spaten on. I wouldn't worry too much about where the grain came from.

Back