First Decent Pale Ale

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'd like to share the recipe of my first decent pale ale after several years and several attempts:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/664196/hop-burst-pale-ale

It's a three-gallon recipe because I don't drink much at a time and I'm afraid the hop character will fade quickly. Technique is late-hopping, a small addition at 60 minutes to help precipitate break material, then the rest at 15 minutes or less with a dry-hop step. It's a simple Cascade-Centennial-Amarillo blend with some Magnum for clean bitterness. There is citrus, some resin, flowers - I'm not a hophead but this beer is high in the rotation once I get the fall party brews done.

Feel free to critique or to try this and tell me what you think.

Reactions: J A
you need to sort your hops but good looking recipe, I like it

I've been joking with the wife about the first decent craft beer in Deer Park, TX.... Everything did kind of come together. The grist provides a nice malty backbone, the fermentation is clean, the hop flavor clean and bright.... I only brought one bottle with me which is a damned shame - I want another! I also picked up a couple of recipe ideas and visited the restaurant that inspired my "Mexican dunkel". Turns out, if I can trust the bartender, the brew was a St. Arnold dark beer, Santo. And I got a couple bottles of "Revolver," a 7% "Imperial" wit with blood orange peel, coriander and honey - I'll have to try that one. Off to San Antonio tomorrow, more craft beer there.

Reactions: J A
I have a house there, and as they say all my X's live in Texas lol I have a ranch just south of San Antonio good luck with the heat, stay in the shade :(

I like pale ales with Vienna. Only thing I would change is get rid of the carapils for flaked wheat or flaked oats.

I like it! I'm a fan of the Centennial and this looks like a nice, clean beer. Congrats on a good one!
Hey Ozark...next time you're down at your ranch and want to rid yourself of a few pigs, let me know! :D :D

Gentlemen, I'd like to share the recipe of my first decent pale ale after several years and several attempts:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/664196/hop-burst-pale-ale

It's a three-gallon recipe because I don't drink much at a time and I'm afraid the hop character will fade quickly. Technique is late-hopping, a small addition at 60 minutes to help precipitate break material, then the rest at 15 minutes or less with a dry-hop step. It's a simple Cascade-Centennial-Amarillo blend with some Magnum for clean bitterness. There is citrus, some resin, flowers - I'm not a hophead but this beer is high in the rotation once I get the fall party brews done.

Feel free to critique or to try this and tell me what you think.

How does this look scales up?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/677787/nosy-pale-ale

This looks like a great recipe, I may try it some time! Can I ask what the acidulated malt is for?

I use Lactic 88% personally, so whatever works to get your PH in range.

Acidulated malt is just another way of putting lactic acid into the beer. They spray the malt with naturally-produced lactic acid to remain compliant with the Reinheitsgebot. I just use it because it's easy to measure and grind with my other grains and I don't have to handle strong acids. And for mash adjustment, I'm moving to phosphoric acid - I have a lot of food-grade phosphoric acid from another project and need to use it up.

Makes sense. I just got used to using lactic so I've been sticking with it.

Makes sense. I just got used to using lactic so I've been sticking with it.
Likely doesn't make a whole lot of difference either way - what matters is the mash pH and if you've put enough lactic in there to make it perceptible, it will drive the pH way too low.

Back