First Competition

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
I recently submitted my Three Minute Record Pale Ale to a local competition and I am proud to announce that I scored a respectable 30 pts!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... ll-grain-2

I did not realize how easy it is to submit to competitions. I plan to do it more often!!!

Great to get "professional" feedback on your efforts!

Professional is relative - I know some of those judges! But congratulations, take what they say with a grain of salt and keep on brewin'.

Nosybear said:
Professional is relative - I know some of those judges
Yup. And those judges know you. I would've really enjoyed joining my local homebrew club, but to ask anyone there, he's an expert, but no one else in the club knows what he's talking about. Then the next guy you talk to claims that he's the expert, not the other guy. And so on, and so on. It is very common to hear everyone at the club badmouthing everyone else's opinions, tips, etc. Sorry to derail, but it is hard for me to figure out who really does know what he's talking about around the world of homebrew. That's why I brew for myself. Not that I don't have questions. I'm no expert. I know there's lots of people who know more than I do.

I guess Ill say it congrats to you that you brew good beer, noted by judges :cool:

jeffpn said:
Nosybear said:
Professional is relative - I know some of those judges
Yup. And those judges know you. I would've really enjoyed joining my local homebrew club, but to ask anyone there, he's an expert, but no one else in the club knows what he's talking about. Then the next guy you talk to claims that he's the expert, not the other guy. And so on, and so on. It is very common to hear everyone at the club badmouthing everyone else's opinions, tips, etc. Sorry to derail, but it is hard for me to figure out who really does know what he's talking about around the world of homebrew. That's why I brew for myself. Not that I don't have questions. I'm no expert. I know there's lots of people who know more than I do.

totally agree, which is why i'm always hesitant to offer any thoughts or advice, here or elsewhere. especially since i don't know if i'm talking to someone with 1 or 100 batches under their belt.
as for the clubs, i'd like to join one too, but i'm not much of an extrovert. they all seem welcoming, but there's still something of a clique going on.
ultimately, i guess the proof is in the beer that the "expert" brews

with that in mind one thing to note, you can hide brew sessions on this site, currently the only brew sessions that shows are one's you create a snap shot of and I don't create those anymore unless I'm experimenting with a recipe

interesting, so does that mean I can comment on a public recipe even if it's not via one of these threads?
i'm pretty new to posting on forums in general, so forgive what might be a silly question

you can comment on any public recipe, I have over 700 but only 300 or so are shared

Still, keep submitting. The feedback helps and the guys judging, their personal tastes and blind spots aside, are providing pretty objective feedback. And watch out for the new judge who tastes diacetyl and astringency in tap water. There's always one of those in the panel.

Seems like this got a bit off track. You brewed a beer, entered it into a competition, and got a decent score and unbiased feedback.
Great Job!
Keep brewing,
Brian

Nosybear said:
Still, keep submitting. The feedback helps and the guys judging, their personal tastes and blind spots aside, are providing pretty objective feedback. And watch out for the new judge who tastes diacetyl and astringency in tap water. There's always one of those in the panel.

..... YES! You're getting feedback "blind" and from a "qualified" judge rather than one of your buddies or acquaintances who just says "yum" or "it was ok".

Thanks guys. I intend to submit every batch I make in the near future to a competition.

Why not? It's inexpensive and I can't figure out a better way to improve my brewing.

Sounds like a plan to me! Good luck!

Krimbos said:
Why not? It's inexpensive .

Paying for someone else to drink your beer? And lose you bottles as well!

The trick is to get paid.

None the less, you did well.

Back