First beer, belgian tripel

alju34

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm about to make my first beer and I'm looking at different recipes for belge tripel. Here's what I came up with, and I'd like to know if it makes sense.

(Target volume is 3,25g, and I would use 3,75g of water)

5lb Briess Pilsen DME
1lb Light Candi sugar (15 mins boil)
------------Hops--------------------------------
1oz Styrian Golding (60m)
1oz Saaz (5m)

I'd ferment for 3 weeks using t-58, still not sure how I would prime, but probably I was thinking of doing something very basic.

Would that recipe work? In your opinion, would it taste good?

Thank you.

I'm not any good at Belgian beers but seems like a good list. I don't like a lot of Belgian beers to begin with so I'm not someone to have an opinion on if it will be good or not.

I say take a run at it and see how it turns out.

The T-58 makes very good Belgian styles. The recipe looks good. The only thing I might do is substitute 2-4 ounces of a darker sugar, just to make the color a touch darker, purely for aesthetics. I think it's good to go.

Hi everyone,

I'm about to make my first beer and I'm looking at different recipes for belge tripel. Here's what I came up with, and I'd like to know if it makes sense.

(Target volume is 3,25g, and I would use 3,75g of water)

5lb Briess Pilsen DME
1lb Light Candi sugar (15 mins boil)
------------Hops--------------------------------
1oz Styrian Golding (60m)
1oz Saaz (5m)

I'd ferment for 3 weeks using t-58, still not sure how I would prime, but probably I was thinking of doing something very basic.

Would that recipe work? In your opinion, would it taste good?

Thank you.
Pretty ambitious for a first beer. How are you planning to control the fermentation? Do you have oxygen? How much yeast are you pitching?

I’m with Nosybear on this, it’s quite ambitious for a first brew because of the difficulties associated with fermenting high strength beers. My first couple of attempts at strong beers didn’t quite reach target gravity. That said what have you got to lose!

Assuming you don’t have any aeration kit, make sure you splash the beer around in the fermenter a lot to introduce some oxygen. Also do a yeast starter the day before. I must admit I don’t know much about pitching rates but would go with the principle that pitching more yeast that is in the growth stage is going to help. Finally it will probably benefit from time to condition so don’t drink it all before you do another brew. Put some bottles aside and see how they taste in say 6 months or longer. Good luck!

Belgians tend to benefit from a cool start (64-66f) and a slow ramp up to a higher temp (72f). So, a way to control fermentation temperature is nice. This is at least my experience. Plenty of oxygen is a must.

Certainly an ambitious first brew.
- oh, and I agree with the dark sugar. :)

Back