Fire extinguisher valve replacement

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Someone here should know about these type of things. I would like to replace the vavle on a 10# fire extinguisher I have so it will take a co2 reg. Anyone have a soured for this?

Also if I open the tank to replace the vavle is there a threat of bacteria getting in there?

Nah, no worries about a threat of bacteria. All the fire suppression chemicals probably killed them. Bottoms up!

Nah, no worries about a threat of bacteria. All the fire suppression chemicals probably killed them. Bottoms up!
But it's......,straight co2.....?

You didn’t mention that. Fire extinguishers use different agents. Some use water, some use dry chemical, some use CO2. I assumed you were referring to a dry chemical extinguisher, which is the most widely used type.

I wouldn't think bacteria is your biggest problem. Co2 is in a liquid form, so the pressure is over 500 PSI, plus there is zero free oxygen. That's a really bad environment for life in general.

Your biggest worry is getting the old valve out, they are really hard to remove because they were never intended to be swapped. Second is finding a new valve to install and third is getting the tank inspected and filled by a gas supplier.

I had one I wanted to retro fit for beer, but in the end I broke down and bought one. Sometimes they are available for a reasonable price used, watch the inspection date.

I have removed th valve of a co2 unit, with relative ease now I'm just scouring the web for a proper valve. I know this can be done because I have read about it as well as seen pic's, just can't find the valve source or article. Inspection and fill is not an issue.

I know your trying to save a buck but these tanks are under very high pressure you might be better served looking for a used CO2 tank on Craig's List or whatever you have in Canada as most reputable places won't fill a questionable tank. Here in the states a #5 or #10 tank can be purchased for $50 - $60 new... your also going t need a regulator $45.

My $0.2 I wouldn't risk my health, or my safety on a hobbled together piece of equipment.

Come on people, this has been done many times, FE are a high pressure safe vessel with a different valve on them. Just because it is painted red don't make it bad. You can also buy or make a easy system to refill soda or paintball small cylinders, just because it is high pressure downtown mean it going to blow up. You can fill your 5# easy with your 20#.

I just looking to see if anyone has a source for the type of "safe" valve for a co2 FE

(Sorry about the rant:rolleyes:)

Beats me, I just went to the local welding shop and they swap my empty tank for a full one.

Back