Fermentis BE-256 hot fermentation

Chris B.

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I was wondering if any of you have any experience using the Fermentis BE-256 yeast.

Yesterday i pitched my 5th beer (Belgian dark stong ale) with this yeast and after a few hours the airlock started bubbling happily , when i came home from work today the bubbling was still going strong and i noticed the lid on my fermentation bucket had deformed (i guess pressure) to a dome shape and the bucket was quite warm, about 25 degrees compared to 20 room temp.

So i was wondering if anyone else here has had such a strong fermentation before with this yeast (or any other yeast), and if so, did the high temp affect the quality of the end product?

Yes, I used it and it is a yeast that tolerates high alcoholic strength. It is very vigorous and tends to raise the temperature. You must control it to avoid unwanted aromas

I just used it for a Belgian Tripel and it took off like crazy I had it fermenting in my basement which was around 72F but when fermentation started the temp gauge on my fermenter was reading 78-80F for about 3 days then slowly calmed down back to 72F.

I actually tried the beer last night after about 3 weeks in the bottle and everything seemed ok, nothing that seemed off as of yet. Took longer to start carbonating than my other beers I brewed (I tested at 1 & 2 weeks hardly any carb). I think it needs more time to condition in the bottle to mature.

Going to be using this yeast for the first time in the current Quarterly brew.
Sounds like it's a crazy fermenter at high temps.
I've read around online that fermenting warm results in bannana flavours interesting...
My plan is to chill to 20c pitch yeast (thinking about making a start so I can save a fresh gen2 sample) I'll leave the yeast at this temp first 24 hours.
Then set high temp setting to 25c switch off heat belt and just let this yeast have its way with the wort.
If it gets above 25c the glycol chiller will switch on to do its thing to bring it back to 25.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1258810/syla-strength-

I've read around online that fermenting warm results in bannana flavours interesting...
Yes, you'll get banana at the high end of the temperature range. You may get some caramel and coffee too. Not overpowering in any case. If you don't want that, lower the temperature. Personally I like it.

I use BE-256 fairly often. I control the temperature and keep it around 70 F (21 C). Good yeast for Dubbels or Belgian dark strong ale. It ferments pretty vigorously.
Cool thanks bubba and Don.
I think I'm gunba enjoy this yeast:)

I pitched be-256 into Zambi's Belgian today.
Can this yeast be fermented under pressure?

All I know is that most people seem to say that you do not pressure ferment Belgian beers as the character of the beer us defined by the yeast and esters.
And pressure fermenting reduces ester formation.

All I know is that most people seem to say that you do not pressure ferment Belgian beers as the character of the beer us defined by the yeast and esters.
And pressure fermenting reduces ester formation.
Thanks Zambi, I will let it ride with the air lock, and wait until after transferring to a keg to carb it up.

Back