Fermentis BE-256 hot fermentation

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Chris B., Oct 8, 2018.

1. Chris B.

Chris B. New Member

Hello fellow brewers,

I was wondering if any of you have any experience using the Fermentis BE-256 yeast.

Yesterday i pitched my 5th beer (Belgian dark stong ale) with this yeast and after a few hours the airlock started bubbling happily , when i came home from work today the bubbling was still going strong and i noticed the lid on my fermentation bucket had deformed (i guess pressure) to a dome shape and the bucket was quite warm, about 25 degrees compared to 20 room temp.

So i was wondering if anyone else here has had such a strong fermentation before with this yeast (or any other yeast), and if so, did the high temp affect the quality of the end product?

2. nachopit

nachopit New Member

Yes, I used it and it is a yeast that tolerates high alcoholic strength. It is very vigorous and tends to raise the temperature. You must control it to avoid unwanted aromas

3. Sanktwo

Sanktwo New Member

I just used it for a Belgian Tripel and it took off like crazy I had it fermenting in my basement which was around 72F but when fermentation started the temp gauge on my fermenter was reading 78-80F for about 3 days then slowly calmed down back to 72F.

I actually tried the beer last night after about 3 weeks in the bottle and everything seemed ok, nothing that seemed off as of yet. Took longer to start carbonating than my other beers I brewed (I tested at 1 & 2 weeks hardly any carb). I think it needs more time to condition in the bottle to mature.