fermentation stuck

Brewer #62148

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

So, I have brewed this recipe twice - goal is to make rather light milk stout.

OG 1.056
FG:

Recipe goes like this (hopefully it's ok to use metric system here)

900 g Belgian - Pale Ale 68.7%
60 g Belgian - Roasted Barley 4.6%
120 g Belgian - Chocolate 9.2%
50 g Lactose (Milk Sugar) 3.8%
80 g German - Smoked Malt 6.1%
100g Chateau crystal 7.6%

5 g of Perle pellets @60 min and @35 min

I am brewing in a bag, 10l tun. So both times I have got perfect OG reading on 1.056. I am using US-05 yeast , mashing around 70-72 C to get a fuller body. I use primary only and bottling after that. This is the 2nd time I make this recipe and the fermentation gets stuck on 1.022 exactly. I am pulling samples after every two day and I am quite sure it won't finish up by third week in fermentor. The temperature is 23C, on a high shelf, no drastic temperature fluctuations past few weeks, and it's on the higher end of suitable temperature range for this yeast.

So if you have had anything similar, then shoot :) For example my saison finished in a short period sitting next to the milk stout, without any issues, finishing on exact fg, so I assume, it's not the temperature.

Mash temp? Lactose?

give it a little rousing maybe? lightly shake or move around the fermenter to see if that gets it going. my other recommendation is to ramp up ferm temps, but it sounds like you're already on the higher end. I've never had any bad experiences with 05 stalling. I hit 80% attenuation at about 10 days every single time with 05.

get a sanitized spoon and slowly stir the yeast in the bottom, add a tablespoon of sugar before and it should finish, other problems could be not enough oxygen to start with and the yeast are drunk and lazy but you cant change that now, learn that a some beers take more oxygen

Kudos - I tried some sugar addition, let's see, if there is any change in next few days. Thank you guys!

Back