Fermentation Chamber

Reebman1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the midst of creating a fermentation cabinet by using an apartment size fridge that one of my customers was going to send to the local recycle center. Since I do not have a basement, it can be a challenge finding a cool enough place to let the magic happen.

My question is centered around the temp control mechanism... While I thought I could simply use the onboard factory thermostat, I'm afraid it's not going to be all that reliable. What would be the least expensive, yet effective means of insuring that there is a constant temp during fermentation? Thanks for your replies. Dale

a temperature controller / probe would probably be best for you.

i've got a 2 stage, STC-1000 or something or other. that lets you set 2 different things, so i could have a heater plugged in as well.

but, a simple one stage would probably work for you, and be cheaper. i want to say i've seen them for around 70-90. if you're good with electronics, you could wire it yourself and save a few bucks

jmcnamara said:
.... if you're good with electronics, you could wire it yourself and save a few bucks

I'm fairly handy but would simply need an instructional... Any idea where I might find such? Thanks

I just converted an upright freezer with a Johnson controls temp controller. All you do is plug the unit into the back of the controller and plug the controller into the outlet and put the probe in the unit. I think it was about $65.

Thanks guys for your replies, they have served to further my education in the art of home brewing! I have my STC-1000 ordered and it should be here soon. I have the back side of the door removed and cleaned up with the seal replaced. I really debated whether to use a temp controller but seems that's what 'everybody else is doing'! (Mama always warned me about my need to always 'do whatever everybody else' was doing but I think in this case, it's prolly worth it!)

I turned the factory thermostat down to as far 'Min' as possible without it shutting off, placed a quart container of H2O in there and monitored it for several days. It was consistently on 60˚. Wouldn't do me much good trying to ferment at higher temps but 'higher' hasn't really been my concern.

Question for those who would know, do I have to/need to by-pass the factory Tstat or no? Thanks again.....Dale

you need to keep a constant temperature throughout your fermentation, up and down swings create all kinds of problems so keep it to a maximum of 5 degrees swing, I use 1 degree up or down which warrants the need for a controller, there is a compressor delay setting for most that will allow it to turn on and stay cooling before shutting off and I would pay attention to your fridge before setting it, some are slower than others to start. the need to bypass the fridge temp sensors is entirely up to you, watch a few u-tube videos before diving in, its not that hard really if your a doit your selfer fix all things your self kind of person

Reebman1 said:
I turned the factory thermostat down to as far 'Min' as possible without it shutting off, placed a quart container of H2O in there and monitored it for several days. It was consistently on 60˚.

I fermented a couple of batches of very passable Kolsch-style beer with K-97 yeast doing exactly that before I set up a freezer/controller system. I think you could ferment most yeasts at that temp. Even a lot of lager yeasts will happily make great beer in that temperature range. ;)

Your refrigerator will plug into your temperature controller circuit. Set the fridge thermostat as low as it can go, and then let the STC-1000 do its job.

And, start saving for a freezer. Ultimately, you'll get one. ;)

Back